Welcome to the world of
Daystate

Reactive Targets any good?

Target section HFT shooter and FT & Bench

Reactive Targets any good?

Postby binner » 05 Sep 2014, 20:54

Anyone here had a blast at these exploding targets? Expensive i know but oh well! Mine are in the post!!
binner

Re: Reactive Targets any good?

Postby 18 Wheeler » 06 Sep 2014, 08:47

Oh yeah! I'm assuming we're talking about the Firebird targets? They are indeed fun, giving a decent bang and biggish puff of smoke. :D

At about a pound each I use them for longer range fun and special occassions. They also drop a shower of sparks, so be a bit cautious if there is dry grass around.

The upside is that I used one to "remotely initiate" my bonfire a couple of days ago 8-) .
[1/4 litre of petrol/old engine oil mix in an old water bottle and a firebird target just above it, shoot a hole in the bottle to let the petrol drip onto bonfire, wait a few seconds, shoot the firebird...woooooooooff :lol:

Another option for a "banging" target uses 9mm blanks in a faceplate http://www.solware.co.uk/air-pistol-air ... RGET.shtml. I've not used one but will have after next weekend so will report back. 9mm blanks are about25p each, there's also a .22 blank version, better sized targets for airgunning, lower cost, but also it's going to be a smaller bang. [Rarely a good thing :D ]
18 Wheeler

Postby binner » 06 Sep 2014, 12:54

18 Wheeler wrote:Oh yeah! I'm assuming we're talking about the Firebird targets? They are indeed fun, giving a decent bang and biggish puff of smoke. :D

At about a pound each I use them for longer range fun and special occassions. They also drop a shower of sparks, so be a bit cautious if there is dry grass around.

The upside is that I used one to "remotely initiate" my bonfire a couple of days ago 8-) .
[1/4 litre of petrol/old engine oil mix in an old water bottle and a firebird target just above it, shoot a hole in the bottle to let the petrol drip onto bonfire, wait a few seconds, shoot the firebird...woooooooooff :lol:

Another option for a "banging" target uses 9mm blanks in a faceplate http://www.solware.co.uk/air-pistol-air ... RGET.shtml. I've not used one but will have after next weekend so will report back. 9mm blanks are about25p each, there's also a .22 blank version, better sized targets for airgunning, lower cost, but also it's going to be a smaller bang. [Rarely a good thing :D ]

Thanks buddy yea postie just popped them through the letter box!! Too right let me know how the blanks go! Haha that sounds brilliant lol in going to have to try that myself lol!!
binner

DIY Chalk Targets Make 100s for about £5

Postby JTR Rhyl » 16 Mar 2015, 20:31

Plaster type Chalk targets

You need
Silicone Cases (Bun type size you like from 22mm (one I use at 35meters) to 50mm or even fancy shapes.
Small bag of builders Plaster (1kg makes 100s)
Mixing utensils (old mug or such like and teaspoon long handled if you can)

Place Cases on a flat place, mix about 30 teaspoons of plaster (enough for 12 targets) water till double cream texture, spoon in case till say 3mm deep, leave to set over night.
Next day pop out and drill small hole for hanging, then leave for a couple of days, the only problem with buying chalk targets from say Ebay, a good few break, mine I roll in paper till needed, I can make a 100 and take to the range, 99% of the time none brake, hang on string on meter targets, or if you can hang of tree bush's if safe to do, fun thing is they move with the wind if in open area.
JTR Rhyl

Postby JTR Rhyl » 05 May 2015, 19:35

I do my own
Another option for a "banging" target uses 9mm blanks in a faceplate http://www.solware.co.uk/air-pistol-air ... RGET.shtml.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj15m1obbSQ
I do my own 1/8 ply drill ether 5mm or 5,5mm holes press in the starter pistol blanks about £8 for 100, paint over with glue (Unibond or such like) mark the blank so its easy to see, can get 10 in a board A4 size.
This shows my practice for the J.T.R. Rhyl Reunion shoot, but the first 4 are the plaster targets, the paper target A4 is the blank.
I was shooting at 35 meter into my garage.
Last edited by JTR Rhyl on 05 May 2015, 19:51, edited 2 times in total.
JTR Rhyl

Postby JTR Rhyl » 05 May 2015, 19:44

Here is a tip I have been told for Pistol shooting, for a safe backdrop use old dustsheets or light carpets, at the moment I am using dustsheet folded over at 8 meters distance, if the pellet hits it the sheet moves but the pellet does not go throw just drops on the floor about 6 inch from the dustsheet, the sheet will need changing after about 2000 pellets have hit it, but unlike when hitting the target or a solid backdrop they do not bounch back.
I have fired Rhom Twinmaster and verious Co2 pistols at it.
Here is another target, string hung stress toys the foam type, pellet hits and goes in about 1/4 inch for a while, but like most things end up going right throw but good fun trying to hit the toy as it is moving on the string.
JTR Rhyl

Postby JTR Rhyl » 28 Nov 2015, 22:01

Just got one of these targets Air-targets, military type target Watch and Shoot. Comes with 8 program chip, and remote for it, but you have to have a 12v battery.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrZbVERW6T8

At the moment only shot it with pistols 3lb and 6lb at 8 meters but not marked it on the steel plate, going to try it on the range at 35metes with steel plate, but think will end up using thick card, steel plate is about 3inch wide 13inch high.
Programs are 1 start 5 secons delay
2 Reset
3:- 2 sec face 5 sec between each target 8 shots
4:- 3 sec face 3 sec between each target 8 shots
5:- 4 sec face 4 sec between each target 8 shots
6:- 8 sec face 2 sec between each target 10 shots
7:- 10 sec face 3 sec between each target 10 shots
8:- 2.0 sec - 0.5 sec in 8 shots
But they will try to alter the timing if you ask.
JTR Rhyl

Postby JTR Rhyl » 22 Mar 2016, 15:09

Been hunting for a new target, found this Could be new target for HFT / FT pistol or plinker
Kill zone 15-40mm state when buying also shape of target. Okay a bit price at £65 + P&P but build very good.

Description after about 1 minute of video.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OYwhjJz1D0[/youtube]

What was said after being on a club rage for a week. after about 1 minute of video
[youtube]v=CzX6MR0jD_4[/youtube]

My little shoot on a 9meter range.
[youtube]ia1BZauexBg[/youtube]

Sorry no idea how to get the videos working, if admin could help please
JTR Rhyl

Return to Daystate Target section HFT shooter and FT & Bench

Who is on the Daystate Forum