Welcome to the world of
Daystate

Night vision for a day scope?

Air Rifle Night Vision Optics chat

Re: Night vision for a day scope?

Postby markyboy » 24 Nov 2013, 19:10

I use the pulsar addon and for the money its a great unit, I use it with a deben mini pro lamp with ir filter for illumination and its excellent for airgun ranges.

Mark.
markyboy

Postby airwolf1 » 24 Nov 2013, 19:19

markyboy wrote:I use the pulsar addon and for the money its a great unit, I use it with a deben mini pro lamp with ir filter for illumination and its excellent for airgun ranges.

Mark.

Many thanks for this, very reassuring as I have not been able to see one in use. Does it allow your head to be in a sensible position or does the length of the unit push your head back a bit far?? I have read that they really need a powerful IR illuminator to work well, I am hoping the Nightmaster will allow me to use mine on my FAC AirWolf out to 70yards.
Daystate Owners Club new site: www.daystateownersclub.com/forum
airwolf1

Postby markyboy » 25 Nov 2013, 15:56

Your more than welcome to borrow mine to see if its something you get on with, I have used mine for a couple of years now and before that I used a cobra merlin so im used to the head position.

Mark.
markyboy

Postby airwolf1 » 27 Nov 2013, 21:20

markyboy wrote:Your more than welcome to borrow mine to see if its something you get on with, I have used mine for a couple of years now and before that I used a cobra merlin so im used to the head position.

Mark.

thanks mate, a very kind offer indeed, I have decided to go for it and ordered the Pulsar Challenger today, I thought about a drive up to yours to take you up on your offer but I don't like borrowing expensive gear as I am paranoid about causing damage :!: buts thanks again for such a kind offer. I took your comments on board regarding head position but think its a minor drawback, I had another shop around and honestly cant find anything at this price point that will give decent range, fit my day scope ( without a tv mounted on top!!) and allow me to quickly switch between my rifles.

I contacted Nightmaster and they were brilliant, really know their product and very helpful at recommending other NV kit to work with their illuminator, I bought the IR LED to convert my NM800 torch to an IR 800 illuminator. I explained what I was looking for and they also recommended the Pulsar Challenger so that sealed it for me. The IR LED will arrive tomorrow direct from nightmaster and the Pulsar should arrive tomorrow as well , £250 from Uttings :D

Thanks again for your help
Daystate Owners Club new site: www.daystateownersclub.com/forum
airwolf1

Postby Reddenning » 18 Dec 2014, 16:17

It's probably a bit late to add much to this debate but I too use the Pulsar Challenger monocular after considering the Nitesight kit. Frankly getting something which actually looked like it was professionally designed by optical engineers who understood the environmental conditions and packaging design needed to survive in the harsh environment encountered in night time hunting really did it for me. It's now over two years old and I haven't kept up with the technology so it wouldn't surprise me to know there are better more modern devices now available but the Pulsar unit is very usable.

There's a few limitations you need to be aware of like the head position is further back but not too uncomfortable, you need a scope which is suitable and ideally has a centre turret side focus (fixed focus is no use at all and AO is very awkward unless your knuckles scrape the floor). You also need the best ir torch you can afford. The built in one is totally useless for rifle use. The field of view is not as wide as without and obviously it's all grey scale video image which isn't as sharp as day optics and focusing the scope to get the best reticule and image sharpness is fiddly requiring a trial and error setup. The scope needs to have a suitable ocular tube profile to allow it to be successfully clamped firmly to the scope ocular tube. An ocular end reticule illumination is out. I use and would recommend a Hawke Sidewinder (I tried a Hawke Varminter as a cheaper option and it's just about usable but it's nowhere near as good as the Sidewinder). You aren't going to be able to use a mag much above X3 without the image suffering a lot and losing contrast so don't expect hi mag. You are talking generally short range less than 25 yards generally for vermin. None tne the less rats, and rabbits eyes look like headlamps and once set up shooting is fairly easy.
You need to be very careful not to burn out the image intensifier so NEVER switch on in daylight and keep it shrouded as much as possible. Type two digital tubes aren't so delicate but they are more expensive.
As many people have note you can make your own and there are lots of projects out there which can help and also lots of cheap video cams which can be adapted particularly cheap dash cams with the IR filter removed. This is probably a better starting point than a bag of components and a sheet of paper. The ergonomics of a home made one won't be as good as a monocular but probably you can make one which is at least as robust and as ergonomic if not a well performing as the Nitesight for a faction of the cost if you are technically minded. The strong points of the Nitesight offerings when I looked at them were their excellent image renderings but their weakness was their poor ergonomics and amateurish housings. Carrying batteries and trailing cables were a big turn off and their poor protection from the elements very limiting. Ok if you only want to snuggle down in a hay loft on a barmy evening in summerand not move much but in freezing temperatures in a muddy field in mid winter in drizzy rain a definite turn off not to mention the cost which was too much for too little in my book.

Hope you are enjoying the Challenger and NV shooting which if it reduces the rat population has my blessing!
Reddenning

Postby Reddenning » 24 Dec 2014, 20:10

knuckle wrote:I'm slightly biased (see my intro in new members) but why go down the add-on route?
Direct NV is so much more efficient, offers far better clarity and is not so vulnerable to damage out in the field.

Regards, Nic.

I've got to agree. The Nitesite kit could be a great solution if it were properly packaged and productised Unfortunately it looked like a home project lash up when I saw it a few years ago. It needed some serious investment in tooling and environmental housings as well as designing for low power operation and sorting the battery technology so it could be packaged as a portable solution suitable for use outside in harsh weather. I opted for a monocular scope optic solution as a practical and cost effective solution though not clearly as good as a dedicated NV system.
Reddenning
Reddenning

Previous

Return to Air Rifle Night Vision Optics

Who is on the Daystate Forum