Welcome to the world of
Daystate

Should I buy the Classic?

The Daystate Huntsman Classic combines all the elements of a fine, traditional sporting air rifle in a lightweight, compact design that’s a joy to shoulder, whether you’re out in the hunting field or on the competition range.Huntsman Regal

Should I buy the Classic?

Postby BeemanR7 » 09 Feb 2017, 02:33

Hello everyone.

I'm on the verge of committing to buy an "as new" Daystate Huntsman Classic. It's easy to find glowing reviews of this rifle. But what do I need to know about this rifle before I commit to buy? Are there any legitimate criticisms of it?

As to purpose, I like a mixture of hunting small game along with paper punching precision. Accuracy and Precision are KING. Knockdown power is only good if it is preceded by Accuracy and Precision. Is the Daystate Huntsman Classic Accurate and Precise enough to live up to the advertised claims in your experience?

What are the recommended pellets for this rifle?

What velocities can I expect from a properly tuned DHC shooting JSB 18.1 grain pellets? The gun I am about to purchase is represented by its current owner to be averaging about 767.4 feet per second. A recent 10 shot string registered a high of 774 and a low of 764 (ES = 10) and an Average of 767.4. Is this about right for this gun shooting JSB 18.1?

Nice to be here. Hope to make some new friends.

Thanks

Tom
BeemanR7

Re: Should I buy the Classic?

Postby Mantonflint » 10 Feb 2017, 19:31

Hi Tom, welcome to the Forum. As you haven't added your location to your profile I guess that you may be US based and considering an FAC Classic in .22?
I don't own a Classic but have no hesitation in confirming the opinion of many that it is an excellent rifle, light in weight with very good handling charisteristics. The Harper valve system gives good consistency over its fairly limited sweet spot, even so shot count is acceptable. I suggest that you have a look in the relevant section of this forum, there are some excelent posts on the subject from guys on your side of the Atlantic.
HTH
Brian
Daystate Air Wolf CDT & Mk3b RT; Ripley XL1, XL9 and AR5S FAC. Feinwerkbau 300s, Skan R32
Use enough gun, I like Black Powder. Lifetime shooter; BASC member etc.
Mantonflint

Postby BeemanR7 » 10 Feb 2017, 20:37

Mantonflint wrote:Hi Tom, welcome to the Forum. As you haven't added your location to your profile I guess that you may be US based and considering an FAC Classic in .22?
I don't own a Classic but have no hesitation in confirming the opinion of many that it is an excellent rifle, light in weight with very good handling charisteristics. The Harper valve system gives good consistency over its fairly limited sweet spot, even so shot count is acceptable. I suggest that you have a look in the relevant section of this forum, there are some excelent posts on the subject from guys on your side of the Atlantic.
HTH
Brian

Thanks Brian,

Yes I'm in Iowa and considering a used FAC Classic in .22. Trouble is, it's running about 100 FPS slower than it should be; and if I buy it, I'm going to have to fix it. I suspect someone has probably shortened the valve spring or some such thing. Don't know where to get parts.

If I get the Classic, I'm afraid I'll soon wish I'd gotten something with higher shot count. The Classic's air tube is pretty small. 22 caliber pellets will eat it up quick, I suspect. Sure is a dandy little gun though. Wish I were a rich man. I'd get a Daystate bottle gun for high shot count, and then I'd get this little Classic and play with it all the time while my bottle gun sits in the gun cabinet depreciating in value while waiting for heavy duty call. I'll bet that little Classic would really trip my trigger! Looks so easy to carry around; so light and small; kinda like my Beeman R7.

I don't know what I was thinking when I posted this thread. I should have predicted that nobody would open up and tell me what they don't like about the Classic. Except for low shot count, what's not to like?

Right?

Thanks for your reply, Brian.

BeemanR7
BeemanR7

Postby Bruno27 » 10 Feb 2017, 20:47

Just go for it
Mine is .177 ( a touch over 12fpe) and I get ~70 shots for a fill, more than enough for what I do and tbh, and considering the quality of the rifle, I'd be happy with half that shot count
Bruno27

Postby BeemanR7 » 11 Feb 2017, 04:54

Bruno27 wrote:Just go for it
Mine is .177 ( a touch over 12fpe) and I get ~70 shots for a fill, more than enough for what I do and tbh, and considering the quality of the rifle, I'd be happy with half that shot count

Well, I bought it. Just HAD to have it. Can't wait to get it. I'll fix whatever's broken and have her back up to spec soon enough. A previous owner probably trimmed a turn or two off the piston spring, or trimmed some off the nylon spring bushing to increase shot count. Shouldn't take much to fix it.

She's a beaut, just like all Daystates. She'll make a fine and lovely little companion for my trusty R7. I still have the Condor for the heavy work.

I think it would be fun to tether the Classic to my SCBA tank for target shooting. Anxious to see if she can out shoot my R7 at 30 yards.

One thing is certain: this is a fearful turn of events for the neighborhood Starlings. Once in awhile an R7-launched 8.4 grain Beeman Silver Jet will bounce right off a starling at 30 yards. But that won't happen with a Daystate launched 18.1 grain JSB. Nobody's going to love my Daystate Huntsman Classic more than my Purple Martins this year. My first Martins should be returning in about 50-55 days. I should have the Classic belching a full head of steam by then. Can't wait.
BeemanR7

Postby Mantonflint » 13 Feb 2017, 10:02

You should be able to obtain spares from Airguns of Arizona Tom. A full set of "O" rings is good to have, definitely a few for the probe. Looking forward to hearing more from you.
Brian
Daystate Air Wolf CDT & Mk3b RT; Ripley XL1, XL9 and AR5S FAC. Feinwerkbau 300s, Skan R32
Use enough gun, I like Black Powder. Lifetime shooter; BASC member etc.
Mantonflint

Postby BeemanR7 » 25 Feb 2017, 07:22

I received it. It's a beauty. Very nice. Shoots nice too. Have only shot a few strings over the chronograph. I fill it only to 3000 psi because that's all I have. No bell curve. It gives me only 3 consistent shots then the velocity falls like a stone for the rest of the magazine. I'm certain someone has altered the spring. When I get time, I'll tear into it and make a shopping list and contact AoA for repair parts and a spare O ring kit. Going to have to come up with something that will pump up to at least 210 bar so I can avail myself of the gun's capabilities.

Anybody have a 4500 psi compressor and CF air tank with gauge, valve, and hose?
BeemanR7

Return to Daystate Huntsman Classic & Huntsman Regal Forum

Who is on the Daystate Forum