Welcome to the world of
Daystate

Cocking bolt bouncing when I fire

Daystate Air Wolf MCT the ultimate in high-tech hunting air rifles that features the very latest in on-board refinements to make it easier than ever to achieve great shooting results

Cocking bolt bouncing when I fire

Postby GordonM » 07 Dec 2016, 15:35

Hi new air wolf mct owner (well second hand anyway)

Definitely shoots tighter groups than my hw100

I have a question that I have not been able to find a topic on the search function and looking for reassurance really

I have noticed that each time I fire the cocking bolt jumps a bit. If I fire with my thumb on the bolt it gives quite a solid impact.

My question, is this normal and nothing to worry about?
Accuracy seems to be good although I am still fairly new at this hobby, so not certain at this early stage what to expect in terms of pellet spread at 25yds (about 5p size other than the odd flyer)

Thanks

Gordon
GordonM

Re: Cocking bolt bouncing when I fire

Postby Cumbrianwolf » 08 Dec 2016, 08:50

Hi Gordon, you should find a small grub screw on top of the breech at the rear of the gun. This in turn pushes down a spring loaded steel ball that matches up with an indent on the cocking lever and if you tighten it a little you should find that it will hold the bolt down. Accuracy with the right pellets at 25 yards from a rest should be almost one hole groups, I can shoot off a rest at 40m and group ten shots within the size of a 5p.
Daystate Mk3/4 MK3 .177 upgraded to MK4 board, AGS Cobalt Redi-Mount 6-24x50 AO IR Rifle Scope, Universal Airstream MK6 carbon fibre reflex silencer.
Benjamin Trail NP pistol .177 fitted with a PAO 2x20mm scope. John
Cumbrianwolf

Postby GordonM » 08 Dec 2016, 17:30

Hi Cumbianwolf

Thank you for the reply
I think at the moment I am trying to separate any small issues with the gun and my lack of experience and shooting skills

I find I can often get 2 or 3 pellet on pellet then despite concentrating the same I get one that slips of to one side or a little high

I still need to select my pellets an find the most consistent
I recently put a few pellets through a crono and they seemed to be within 2 or 3 fps although there was one that was 5 off.
I shall also try and weigh a few and see if that makes a difference
Are your shots generally straight out of the tin?
Also are there any other tips you have that might help to improve the consistency?

Regards

Gordon
GordonM

Postby Cumbrianwolf » 14 Dec 2016, 16:28

http://www.daystateforum.com/download/file.php?id=925
That link should lead you to my post where I have tried a few differing pellets and fully chronographed the results. Those were straight out of the tin and settled upon the on ones I mentioned as the rifle loves them with little or no flyers.

I was using RWS Super-field and found them to be a good choice but not consistent as in 2 out of 10 would go awry as you are also finding out and this to me is not acceptable for shooting any living creature.
Daystate Mk3/4 MK3 .177 upgraded to MK4 board, AGS Cobalt Redi-Mount 6-24x50 AO IR Rifle Scope, Universal Airstream MK6 carbon fibre reflex silencer.
Cumbrianwolf

Postby GordonM » 01 Feb 2017, 23:39

Hi Cumbrianwolf
Apologies I have been away working and up to my eyes in it so haven't had a chance to thank you for your advice.
I tried the link but it's a nice photo of a pile of pellets
I am interested in the testing you did, what pellet did you settle on in the end
I managed to get down the range this last weekend and the airwolf grouping seems to have got worse and down the 50 metre range I was struggling to get groups smaller than 3 to 4 inches
Are there any seals or known issues I need to look for or do you think it is worth just taking it in for a full service
Thanks Gordon

Gordon
GordonM

Postby Meater » 02 Feb 2017, 17:37

Have you tried cleaning the barrel mate?

I find that mine needs it occasionally, once accuracy goes i clean, and back to normal again. I get pellet on pellet at 40yds using .177 JSB exacts. I just wont have superfields.

BTW, I would clean you HW100 barrel too, if it's less accurate than what you say your Airwolf is. HW 100 should be pellet on pellet at 40yds with the right pellets, my .22 like AA diablo fields.

Have you sorted the jumping cocking lever? It may be the probe o ring. fiddly to do but simpe task. BS 003 - .177, BS 004 .22 I think, check before ordering.
Meater

Postby GordonM » 03 Feb 2017, 00:43

Yes tightened the little grub screw and that is fine. Come to think of it I was trying it at the weekend without the barrel band so that's going back on!
I clean it by just shooting through 4 felt pellets about every tin of pellets. Should I be doing more
GordonM

Postby Meater » 03 Feb 2017, 23:08

Felt pellets dont seem to do much. I started that way, but now use a napier pull through kit, put oil into barrel then keep pulling patches through until the patches come through clean. first time I did it I couldn't believe the difference it made.
Meater

Postby GordonM » 12 Feb 2017, 22:01

Did the pull through the last 2 weekends before going out and there was a definite improvement, with some good groups at 30 yards but a cold and variable wind kept interfering. Using jsb exacts 4.52s. I tried the 4.51s but not so good. going to try the 4.53 too
GordonM

Postby Cumbrianwolf » 20 Feb 2017, 15:21

GordonM wrote:Hi Cumbrianwolf
Apologies I have been away working and up to my eyes in it so haven't had a chance to thank you for your advice.
I tried the link but it's a nice photo of a pile of pellets
I am interested in the testing you did, what pellet did you settle on in the end
I managed to get down the range this last weekend and the airwolf grouping seems to have got worse and down the 50 metre range I was struggling to get groups smaller than 3 to 4 inches
Are there any seals or known issues I need to look for or do you think it is worth just taking it in for a full service
Thanks Gordon

Gordon

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1402

Sorry about the link here is the actual post I made with all the details on there. A long time since I frequented the forum so my apologies.
Cumbrianwolf

Return to Daystate Air Wolf MCT Forum

Who is on the Daystate Forum