Welcome to the world of
Daystate

why clean the barrol again

Pellet Forum to chat about Pellets

why clean the barrol again

Postby border » 02 Apr 2016, 22:23

Hi gents, i cleaned the barrol on my wolverine and it was shooting spot on pellet on pellet with crossman prems 7.9grains, then i tried some different pellets in which was crossman prems 10.5 grains and also some JSB Heavies 10.3 grains, now my question is people always say clean the barrol after you have tried different pellets and i want to no why. I am going back now to useing the crossman prems 7.9 grains will they still shoot as good or do i need to clean the barrol again after putting all of them different pellets in. thanks for looking and any replies will be greatfull. Bob.
border

Re: why clean the barrel again

Postby Mantonflint » 02 Apr 2016, 22:43

It depends on your particular barrel, they vary due to a number of reasons depending on method of manufacture. Three methods are cut rifling, button rifling and hammer forging. A barrel made from tooling early in a production run will have slightly different characteristics to one made towards the end. Two aspects being depth/sharpness of rifling and smoothness of bore and groove, aspects that affect the build up of lead and therefore it's effect on velocity, consistency and point of impact. If you detect a change in performance it's a good idea to pull the barrel through with a couple of dry cotton patches, or perhaps every tin of pellets. If you wet the patch with fluid, you will have to shoot a number of pellets to remove the residue.
As lead has lubricational capability normal deposits in the bore of a sub twelve rifle should not cause problems. Cleaning between pellet brands is entirely up to you. ;)
Have a look at this video; http://tune.pk/video/4808984
Daystate Air Wolf CDT & Mk3b RT; Ripley XL1, XL9 and AR5S FAC. Feinwerkbau 300s, Skan R32
Use enough gun, I like Black Powder. Lifetime shooter; BASC member etc.
Mantonflint

Re: why clean the barrol again

Postby border » 02 Apr 2016, 23:05

HI, Thanks for your reply my gun is a 1year old daystate wolverine in 177 cal, which will mine be ?. thanks bob.
border

Postby Mantonflint » 03 Apr 2016, 07:02

As far as I know, the barrels are supplied by Lothar-Walther. Always bear in mind that every barrel has its own individual characteristics, just like ones fingerprints. Performance also involves other associated mechanical factors which affect the figure of merit of your particular barrel such as muzzle crown, chamber dimension and bevel, rifling lead, alignment of pellet entering chamber, magazine/single shot tray variations and probe alignment.
It all adds up to hours of endless pleasure of pellet testing, just when you find a pellet that delivers consistent accuracy the manufacturer change the spec and your back to square one. Happy days ;)
Daystate Air Wolf CDT & Mk3b RT; Ripley XL1, XL9 and AR5S FAC. Feinwerkbau 300s, Skan R32
Mantonflint

Postby border » 03 Apr 2016, 10:21

HI, A big thanks that was vere inpresive , ATVB bob.
border

an update

Postby border » 03 Apr 2016, 23:02

HI Gents, this is a update after trying about 200 crossman prems 10.5 gr in my wolverine i went back useing crossman prems 7.9 gr, but the pellet was only given me groups size of a 5 pence , so i gave a pull through twice with a light oil and twice with a clean cotton cloth, and after 40 pellets it is back to nearly the same size hole as the 177 pellet, thanks for all your help . ATVB BOB: :D
border

Postby Mantonflint » 04 Apr 2016, 22:45

Looks like you've found the best solution for that particular rifle Bob. As a bye the by, I have never cleaned the bore on my old Winchester rimfire, I've had her for more years than I care to remember, not a carbon fibre bit anywhere near her and she still does the job. :)
Mantonflint

Return to Pellet Forum

Who is on the Daystate Forum