Welcome to the world of
Daystate

What size would you like sir?

Pellet Forum to chat about Pellets

What size would you like sir?

Postby tonylam » 04 Jan 2015, 03:36

Hi All

I have recently returned to shooting after a 10+ years.

I am now the proud owner of an Airwolf CDT.
I called into my local Airgun shop today for a mooch and to purchase a Combro and a tin of .177 AA Diablo Pellets.

Combro's out of stock but was then stumped to find that I had a choice of Diablo .177 sizes available to me. 4.51 and 4.52.

Can anyone guide me as to what size the air wolf CDT requires..... or is it a case of shoot them all and select the best from testing?
Should have asked but do shops sell testing bags of pellets?

Thanks

Tony
Daystate Airwolf CDT- 0.177
Hawke Airmax 30 6-20x50
AA Diablo field
tonylam

Re: What size would you like sir?

Postby tonylam » 04 Jan 2015, 03:43

I would like to add the lady who served me at Macavoy's was very helpful and explained why a variety of sizes were available and i left with 4.51's. I would just welcome "collective" guidance.

Thanks

Tony
Daystate Airwolf CDT- 0.177
Hawke Airmax 30 6-20x50
AA Diablo field
tonylam

Re: What size would you like sir?

Postby Mantonflint » 04 Jan 2015, 11:14

The answer is it all depends. I'm afraid that you have to try them yourself in five shot groups fired well supported from the bench. Be sure to observe a perfectly even black circle surrounding the ocular so as to eliminate any possible parallax error. I recommend single shot loading first and then test from the mag; be sure to mark your targets! For testing, I also suggest charging your cylinder to 10 bar less than max fill pressure, don't continue testing at less than approx 150 bar to maintain consistency.
When you produce a result that you're happy with I suggest buying a number of tins with the same head-size and batch number.
Good luck in your quest, seeker of accuracy. :D
I'm sure that others will contribute their views, if I have an opinion I prefer the larger pellet "head size" as first guess. It probably comes from my centrefire rifle cartridge reloading, generally a cast lead bullet a couple of thou over groove diameter gives best accuracy.
Let us know how you get on; I'm going shooting. ;)
Brian
With batteries and alignment tool, post free: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 1173859821
Daystate Air Wolf CDT & Mk3b RT; Ripley XL1, XL9 and AR5S FAC. Feinwerkbau 300s, Skan R32
Use enough gun, I like Black Powder. Lifetime shooter; BASC member etc.
Mantonflint

Return to Pellet Forum

Who is on the Daystate Forum