Welcome to the world of
Daystate

Conversion from conventional hammer to the Slingshot system

Daystate Air Ranger an Air Ranger 80 Designed to be a ‘supergun’ amongst sporting air rifles, the Air Ranger and its extra-high power stablemate, the Air Ranger 80, bring a whole new dimension to mechanically-driven PCPs. Now you can shoot well beyond your normal limits.

Conversion from conventional hammer to the Slingshot system

Postby AlanMcD » 26 Jan 2016, 16:03

Greetings – this is my first post here on the forum. I have read lots of good information here, so thanks for all that.

I was wondering if anyone ever swapped out a solid one piece hammer for a Slingshot hammer system in an Air Ranger.

I ask because I bought a used .22 cal 50PFE Air Ranger here in the US, and although it shot well I decided to tune it down to lower energy for better accuracy with more pellets. I did this by making a new hammer spring spacer out of Delrin rod, and it now shoots JSB 18.1 pellets at about 900 fps for about 32 FPE with extreme accuracy. It now gives me 30 shots with less than 1.5% extreme spread off a fill of only 2300 psi. While I am happy with this, I can clearly tell that the hammer is bouncing and burping out excess air on the back half of the shot string, so I was wondering if I could use a slingshot hammer at this lower power level – I know that the heavy hammer was needed to get to the 50 FPE level.

So I was wondering if any ever did this, or had it done by Daystate. Obviously I would prefer to just buy the parts and do it myself, since I have already been in the gun, but I thought I would ask if it had been done.
AlanMcD

Re: Conversion from conventional hammer to the Slingshot sys

Postby AlanMcD » 27 Jan 2016, 15:19

Well, I sent my question on a potential hammer conversion directly to Daystate, and I heard back from them fairly quickly - much quicker than I expected from other posts I have read here. Bottom line, they said it was NOT a straightforward swap and they do not recommend it. While they did not say it, I suspect they use a different valve with the slingshot hammer too.

There recommendation to increase the shot count was to consider trying to reduce the size of the transfer port and tune it that way. I may give that a try at some point.

I am still curious if anyone has come up with a way to reduce hammer bounce on their Daystates with non-slingshot hammers.
AlanMcD

Postby Mantonflint » 28 Jan 2016, 08:42

A very interesting post Alan, sorry I can't help.
Brian
Daystate Air Wolf CDT & Mk3b RT; Ripley XL1, XL9 and AR5S FAC. Feinwerkbau 300s, Skan R32
Use enough gun, I like Black Powder. Lifetime shooter; BASC member etc.
Mantonflint

Postby Roni » 11 Feb 2016, 07:38

I have been experiencing with daystate stripping them apart. Looking from the real parts, the best way you can do is just to swap the hammer from solid hammer to harper valve hammer system which will help you to reduce the power and # of shots. I tested the harper valve maximum fps could run up to range 950 while using the solid steel hammer could boost the power beyond and over 1000fps.
Do not reduce the neck of the port. Useless and only wasting air going back to the valve system.
Roni

Return to Daystate Air Ranger an Air Ranger 80 Forum

Who is on the Daystate Forum