Welcome to the world of
Daystate

Air Ranger 80 .25 MOA group at 100 meters!

Daystate Air Ranger an Air Ranger 80 Designed to be a ‘supergun’ amongst sporting air rifles, the Air Ranger and its extra-high power stablemate, the Air Ranger 80, bring a whole new dimension to mechanically-driven PCPs. Now you can shoot well beyond your normal limits.

Air Ranger 80 .25 MOA group at 100 meters!

Postby denniesmeets » 20 Aug 2018, 20:35

Hi,

My previous post on juli 28 2017 showed accuracy at 50 meters. The gun was brand new (and new to me). Now The barrel has broken in and I got used to the gun’s behaviour and we got to learn each other. Played around with pellet speed and gun hold and finally found a setup which delivers the accuracy I am comfortable with at 100 meters. In terms of pellets, the JSB King Heavies (regular) are most accurate. King Heavies MKII’s are opening up the groups a little bit compared to the regulare Heavies. Standard King’s are worse, not to speak about baracuda’s which spread like a shotgun. The most accurate pellet speed I gound with Heavies is around 266 m/s. Best gun hold is resting the gun on its fore end and not the bottle. One hand at the grip, other hand resting on top of the scope, applying a little bit of pressure. Follow through after the shot has been fired improves group sizes. Very noticeable and a sensitive point of this airgun. Probably the longer barrel makes it more sensitive. Further more a large silencer absorbing the first air behind the pellet makes another improvement to group sizes. I use the Huggett Magna silencer currently which I achieved some good results with. After loads of practicing groups have shrunk down to just under a MOA group at 100 meters. This 10 shot group measures 27mm to be exact. This is the smallest group I shot with my current setup. I am shooting groups averaging around 35mm most of the time. (Concentration, mood etc.) Maybe sizing and sorting pellets by weight can improve another percent, maybe something I will do ant try some time. I have made some rim and centre fire guys jealous at the range when they had a look at my groups.

I hope this information is of any help to you guys. Anyway, the Air Ranger can deliver accuracy when having found the right setup. I know a lot of guys were/are having issues with accuracy. This gun just shoots too hot out of the box using pellets. I am using a lighter hammer spring and shooting at 160 bars on an external regulator. When using the original hammer spring, try shooting at around 140 bars. This should give you a pellet speed around 265 m/s and improved accuracy. The lighter hammer spring is just to limit the air consumprion a bit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
denniesmeets

Re: Air Ranger 80 .25 MOA group at 100 meters!

Postby denniesmeets » 20 Aug 2018, 20:41

Here is a picture of my gun hold if anyone would be interested.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
denniesmeets

Postby Bruno27 » 22 Aug 2018, 07:14

Very impressive! Do you use back rest?
Bruno27

Postby denniesmeets » 07 Sep 2018, 23:49

Yes I do. Just a small bag rest.
denniesmeets

Postby denniesmeets » 10 Dec 2018, 23:57

Been to the range today and my first shots were just not good enough. Last month I repeated a group of 27mm and I knew there is more in this gun. Groups started to tighten up when I focussed better and concentrated on my gun hold. Then three groups: 26mm, 21mm and 20mm. Note that these are 5-shot groups! Very happy with these groups. The last shot ended up high which was my fault. I knew this was a good group and jerked on the trigger a bit after three tries and hesitations on the last shot. Anyway, happy to see there is still some gain in group sizes! Changed pressure today to 170 bars btw. Sends the 34gr king heavies mkI @ 267m/s which seems to tighten up the groups even more a bit with no flyers anymore. Had flyers one out of 15-20 shots @ 160 bars. Haven’t had a single flyer today out of 60 shots. Could be the pressure, could be something else. Don’t know. Was only 8 degrees in the 100 meter basement range today.
denniesmeets

Return to Daystate Air Ranger an Air Ranger 80 Forum

Who is on the Daystate Forum