Welcome to the world of
Daystate

A bit of garden wildlife

A place to talk about anything from cars to over sports or hobbies

Re: A bit of garden wildlife

Postby 18 Wheeler » 03 Sep 2014, 09:58

Another little garden treat :) He's also got attitude!

GCj.jpg

Europe's smallest bird, the Goldcrest, a juvenile male in this case. Sweet... and a devil to photograph!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
18 Wheeler

Postby silver fox » 05 Sep 2014, 22:37

WOW man you are so lucky to catch that on camera, these little fellers are so rare, well done and keep them photo's coming i love them.
atb alan.
AIRWOLF .177 cdt
MK4 IS ST .177
MEON VALLEY AIRGUN CLUB
HFT crazy.
silver fox

Postby 18 Wheeler » 06 Sep 2014, 09:52

silver fox wrote:WOW man you are so lucky to catch that on camera, these little fellers are so rare, well done and keep them photo's coming i love them.
atb alan.

Glad you like them. Goldcrests are tricky to find, but around here there are a number of places where I can guarantee a sighting. As we age our high frequency hearing deteriorates and we can no longer hear the Goldcrest's very high pitched call, and that may be the only clue that you have that they are nearby!

Fortunately they are also quite confiding (ie. you can get close to them). Partly this is due to their size. Being so small means that not much predates them, a cunning strategy.
18 Wheeler

Postby 18 Wheeler » 06 Sep 2014, 10:14

Back to the mammals!

Hedgehogs... love them. Dp good work eating bugs, snails and occassionally slugs. Their snuffling antics are amusing too.

Here's a very pale female from last year, trying to hide behind two blades of grass :lol:
_DSC5673 (Medium).JPG

I've had a couple of hoglets in the garden this year, they grow fast! Started off with 2, but one disappeared, I'd spotted some badger tracks previously which may explain the disappearance, hedgehogs are a favourite badger food.

Then a few days ago my trailcam spotted this...
Badgersnap.jpg

...there's a 10s video via this link https://www.flickr.com/photos/18w/14968 ... /lightbox/ for anyone interested, looks like it was after blackberries. The above image is a snapshot taken from the clip.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
18 Wheeler

Previous

Return to Lounge - none Daystate chat

Who is on the Daystate Forum