Welcome to the world of
Daystate

Forum Post editing window time limit?

A place to talk about anything from cars to over sports or hobbies

Re: Forum Post editing window time limit?

Postby Mantonflint » 23 Nov 2014, 20:26

Thanks Richard, appreciated.
Great photo Nick! Do we have to guess how many pellets are hidden and in which pocket? ;)
Bet she couldn't hide too many of these though...........
Brian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Daystate Air Wolf CDT & Mk3b RT; Ripley XL1, XL9 and AR5S FAC. Feinwerkbau 300s, Skan R32
Use enough gun, I like Black Powder. Lifetime shooter; BASC member etc.
Mantonflint

Postby 18 Wheeler » 25 Nov 2014, 11:33

Mantonflint wrote:...Bet she couldn't hide too many of these though...........
Brian

You might be surprised :o :lol:

[375 H&H ?]
18 Wheeler

Postby Mantonflint » 25 Nov 2014, 20:19

.375 H&H? Yes Nick, a very flexible calibre; 225, 265 and 300 grain bullets, a truly excellent medium bore rifle calibre. Around 3,0000fps and 4,500fpe. Loaded down its a pussy cat, loaded up you don't enjoy shooting prone, it's designed to be used standing or sitting (I've yet to try it in HFT) ;)

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/.375_Hol ... and_Magnum

I have a passion for heavy rifles and enjoy load development and shooting all types. The bullet at the right is for my favourite double rifle; its 630 grain. The rifle is sighted to 2,000 yards which is a little fanciful perhaps. Great fun. :)
Brian
Daystate Air Wolf CDT & Mk3b RT; Ripley XL1, XL9 and AR5S FAC. Feinwerkbau 300s, Skan R32
Mantonflint

Postby 18 Wheeler » 26 Nov 2014, 00:15

I'm not a total stranger to the delights of the "bigguns", having lived and worked in Africa on game farms.

375 H&H, just about all the gun you'll ever need and as you say entirely acceptable when fired from standing. The thought of a heavy load from prone isn't pleasant. For my purposes of supplying meat for camp, .243 Winchester was ideal.

If you've got a kindle or similar device there's a free download of "In Africa Hunting Adventures in the Big Game Country" by John T. Mccutcheon. A nice read for those who like Africa/Hunting/Bygone eras:
-Amazon reviews here http://www.amazon.co.uk/Africa-Hunting- ... B0082X3AG8
-Free download from CDL https://archive.org/details/inafricahuntinga00mccuiala or,
-Gutenburg http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/21254

Compared to WDM.Bell's "Wanderings of an Elephant Hunter" the above is positively liberal in the views and attitudes to the "locals".

Thread seems to have drifted off a bit...

...I'll come back and edit it tomorrow. 8-)
18 Wheeler

Postby Mantonflint » 26 Nov 2014, 08:44

Thanks For your recommendation Nick, I've downloaded it into Kindle, looking forward to reading it, I'm just re-reading African Rifles and Cartridges by Taylor. Very interesting about your own African experiances, I'm in agreement on the .243/6.5mm. As for shooting prone, perhaps one of my most painfull experiances is the .458WM with 500 grain bullet in a bolt action, makes your a**e twitch! Check the eye relief!
I shoot some of the major calibre's in the forties, fifties, five-seven-sevens and then on to BP bore rifles, some interesting ones. In double rifles I find recoil ok, it's the ten-pound sporters that can be a bit lively. ;)
On the other side of the coin I've been working on a little .310CF sporting rifle, I've got It around 200fpe with very good accuracy. ;)
Apologies to all for flagrant deviation from the thread!
Brian
Mantonflint

Postby Mantonflint » 29 Nov 2014, 20:50

For 18Wheeler, next up the ladder from the .375; I don't have any of the big one loaded up at the moment. ;)
Brian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mantonflint

Postby 18 Wheeler » 08 Dec 2014, 00:03

I'd missed these Brian, late on parade :oops:

My knowledge pretty much stops after we get to .416 Rigby, so I'm guessing...

...450 & 577 NE?

I doubt I could lift one of those "bigguns" these days, let alone shoot it with any degree of control. :shock:

Biggun = any rifle that uses a cartridge bigger than a finger. :lol:
18 Wheeler

Postby audi swift » 08 Dec 2014, 00:06

I will have a go shooting a few rounds of all these one day ..... :mrgreen:
audi swift

Postby Mantonflint » 09 Dec 2014, 00:03

18 Wheeler wrote:I'd missed these Brian, late on parade :oops:

My knowledge pretty much stops after we get to .416 Rigby, so I'm guessing...

...450 & 577 NE?

I doubt I could lift one of those "bigguns" these days, let alone shoot it with any degree of control. :shock:

Biggun = any rifle that uses a cartridge bigger than a finger. :lol:

The .416 is an excellent round, rifles not too heavy either. A rifle I'm hoping to acquire is the .450 NE which is probably as far as one needs to go for a DG rifle unless perhaps hunting in very heavy cover.
On my photo the top cartridge is the .404 JNE Nick, a superb African cartridge, then .500 NE followed by the .600; I've missed out the .577-500 and the .458. ;) I'm just in from the range, I've been working on a load for the .45-90 that's showing promise, very consistent. Put a few rounds through the .577 also, just to blow the spiders out, those cases eat up a lot of powder. I better get 'em cleaned up.
Brian
Mantonflint

Previous

Return to Lounge - none Daystate chat

Who is on the Daystate Forum