Welcome to the world of
Daystate

First PCP

The Daystate Huntsman Classic combines all the elements of a fine, traditional sporting air rifle in a lightweight, compact design that’s a joy to shoulder, whether you’re out in the hunting field or on the competition range.Huntsman Regal

First PCP

Postby skuirrel » 04 Oct 2016, 03:21

My Regal XL has shipped. My first PCP, why must every day feel like a week when a rifle is in the mail? Thanks for all the info on this forum.
skuirrel

Re: First PCP

Postby Daystate Admin » 04 Oct 2016, 08:45

Brilliant let us know how you get on with your Regal XL
Cheers Richard
Daystate Forum built by members for everyone
www.humminbird.info
Daystate Admin
Site Admin

Postby skuirrel » 11 Oct 2016, 04:18

So far I have put about 300 rounds through the new Regal. There are moments when I know I have a stupid smile on my face. On my property I have a large Euciliptus @88 yards from a good shooting position on the fence post that the Starlings like to land on. Dropping 2 in a row with one shot each seemed ridiculous, but it happened. Bolt was a bit rough at first, seems that a technique is involved, (pull bolt back very gently till cocking resistance, make sure butt is firmly against shoulder or thigh and cock with some authority). Have read a lot about bad bolts, I was worried I had one but it seems fine. Also, this thing makes almost no noise, one would think is must not be working. So glad I bought this rifle, the animals on the farm are as well, they pay no attention to when I am shooting, they are frightened by my Diana 34, which was my first quality air rifle. I do have a couple of questions. The air cylinder touches on one side of the front of the stock and makes a clicking noise when I grasp it occasionally. (the cylinder against the stock) Also the barrel shroud rattles a bit in the barrel band,
should I do anything to remedy these things. I amy pretty happy with the accuracy, would hate to mess it up by trying to fix these things. Any input is welcome.

Happy Daystate Owner.
skuirrel

Postby Mantonflint » 11 Oct 2016, 19:26

Good to hear about your experiance and enjoyment of the Regal. The shroud rattle is fine, don't disturb it in any way. As for the cylinder resting on the stock, it's best if you can slide a currency note down between cylinder and stock. Yo could try slackening the stock bolt and retightening while holding the cylinder centralised in the stock channel. Don't over tighten the stock bolt, just nip it in and then give an extra sixth of a turn. If that doesn't give clearance, a little careful sanding of the stock channel with production paper should sort it. Repeal with a suitable wood finish.
Daystate Air Wolf CDT & Mk3b RT; Ripley XL1, XL9 and AR5S FAC. Feinwerkbau 300s, Skan R32
Use enough gun, I like Black Powder. Lifetime shooter; BASC member etc.
Mantonflint

Postby skuirrel » 12 Oct 2016, 03:53

Thanks for the reply Mantoflint, I have relieved a few stocks on my centerfire rifles to free float them. I read somewhere that the air cylinder will expand and contract with different pressures (obvious physics), I would assume that having they cylinder free float would be preferable. From the way the stock is cut it looks like this was the designers intention. I am sure England is a bit more humid than California, this change may have happened after it left the factory. A new aquantince with a Marauder came by for a look this evening he professed his admiration of my regal (think he may have been a bit jealous). Before I start hacking out wood, what do you and others think about glass bedding the action on the Regal? I have not begun to explore this guns true potential yet, I need to work on my shooting techniques. So nice to have a rifle that is better than my abilities.
skuirrel

Postby Mantonflint » 13 Oct 2016, 20:04

I'm of the opinion that work done to make the rifle perform more consistently is a good thing. Glass bedding may help towards the goal, it's done over here on air rifles but not particularly common. I've a feeling that it might be more beneficial on the longer heavier rifles. I suggest that you just relieve cylinder contact with the stock first and see how you go. One thing I'm particular about is stock bolt tension, I use a Torqedriver but it's not really necessary. I do use it for sight mounting though.
Good shooting.
Daystate Air Wolf CDT & Mk3b RT; Ripley XL1, XL9 and AR5S FAC. Feinwerkbau 300s, Skan R32
Mantonflint

Postby skuirrel » 14 Oct 2016, 04:08

Sound advise I believe. I have access to a wide variety of torque wrenches in my profession. How many NM, Inch pounds or foot pounds do you recommend for the stock screw.
skuirrel

Postby Mantonflint » 14 Oct 2016, 22:39

I will have a look what my driver is set on and get back to you ASAP.
Mantonflint

Postby cdaley » 31 Oct 2016, 18:55

Mantonflint - You said to not disturb the band around the shroud. Well, I have shimmed mine, and maybe I shouldn't have. I have about 0.004" shim all the way around it. I tried to go for no rattle, but yet allow the band to slide for expansion/contraction of the reservoir, but maybe I should take the shimming out and see how it shoots. Maybe that is the accuracy issue I am fighting with. It sounds like you have some experience with that shroud/barrel band.
Chris D
Daystate Regal XL, 0.22, 30ft-lb, with Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40 AO BDC
Anschutz Model 1712 Silhouette Sporter, with Leupold 6.5-20x40 EFR CDS
Sheridan Blue Streak
RWS Diana Model 45
cdaley

Return to Daystate Huntsman Classic & Huntsman Regal Forum

Who is on the Daystate Forum