Welcome to the world of
Daystate

Altaros Regulator Ordered For the Regal

The Daystate Huntsman Classic combines all the elements of a fine, traditional sporting air rifle in a lightweight, compact design that’s a joy to shoulder, whether you’re out in the hunting field or on the competition range.Huntsman Regal

Altaros Regulator Ordered For the Regal

Postby Jking » 09 Sep 2016, 00:06

I couldn't stand it any longer and thought I'd be the guinea pig and install a Altaros regulator in my Fac Regal 22. I ordered it yesterday so it may take a couple of weeks to get here. This is the no-drill install that is vented to atmosphere by removing the air tube's O-rings. I have no issues with the string the gun is shooting now but for the last couple of years I've been wanting to try it. Michal at Altaros didn't have any data on the FAC guns and nobody really knows what the results might be. I'm averaging about 880 over 30 shots right now and I'm thinking the regulated velocity will probably be quite a bit lower. If I can extend my shot count with a regulated string and keep the 18.1's at a flat 850 or 860fps I'd be happy. The 16gr JSB would probably get me back up to the 880 range if needed. The only other thing that I'm thinking I might have to try is a lighter hammer spring. That would be the extent of modification to the gun. Michal did say if it didn't work just pay for the return shipping and he'd credit me back. Sounds like a good learning experience anyway.
Jimmy
AA S510 Carbine Huma Regged
Daystate Regal 30FPE
Vulcan Tactical 25cal SW 6-24X56 Mil
FX500 Hawke SW 6-14X56
Jking

Re: Altaros Regulator Ordered For the Regal

Postby Anirudh65 » 14 Sep 2016, 14:20

JKIng does this regulator let you maintain constant velocity. mine is a hunstman classic 177 FAC unregulated
Anirudh65

Postby Jking » 15 Sep 2016, 13:16

That is correct, it maintains the same pressure behind each pellet regardless of what is in the air tube.
Jimmy
http://www.altaros.cz/en/22-daystate
Daystate Regal 30FPE
FX500 Hawke SW 6-14X56
Jking

Postby Jking » 20 Sep 2016, 18:53

Update on Altaros drop in regulator in Regal XL FAC... NOT GOOD! but what I expected.

I received the regulator yesterday and installed it with no issues. Every sealed well upon refilling the air tube. Installing the regulator was the only think I did at the time and checked it over the chrony. JSB 18.1's which normally averaged 892fps were now running 795, a 100fps drop. JSB 16gr that were shooting around 940 were now at 830.

I expected a drop in velocity but was hoping maybe 50-60fps. The reglator does not come with a plenum spacer which with a 12fpe gun probably wasn't needed. I tried to gain a little velocity back by adjusting the hammer stroke which proved fruitless. I then refilled the gun to 220 and shot a string with the JSB 16gr. Starting velocity was 835, 28 shots later it fell off the regulator. Apparently the stock slingshot hammer is way too heavy for this non plenumed regulator install. Again not surprised.

Daystate had their "stuff" together when they designed the Slingshot hammer and Harper valve combination. After seeing the results of the "drop in" regulator and not wanting to alter anything else on a perfectly fantastic gun I pulled the regulator back out and return the gun to it's original condition.

It was just something I'd been wanting to try so now I know. The Daystate Regal in factory FAC trim is a leaver "B".
Jimmy
Daystate Regal 30FPE
FX500 Hawke SW 6-14X56
Jking

Postby daystate395 » 01 Dec 2016, 17:31

I will be very interested in your results. I read that the new regal with slingshot system would not need a regulator. I person on GTA said he got 100 shots with one fill. He said after first 50shots it actually became more accurate, without any change in poi. I find that hard to believe, but as I can't shoot mine until Christmas, I can't prove or disprove, what he stated.
daystate395

Postby Jking » 01 Dec 2016, 23:16

daystate395 wrote:I will be very interested in your results. I read that the new regal with slingshot system would not need a regulator. I person on GTA said he got 100 shots with one fill. He said after first 50shots it actually became more accurate, without any change in poi. I find that hard to believe, but as I can't shoot mine until Christmas, I can't prove or disprove, what he stated.

DS395,
All the results I have are stated. I think it would take major mods to make the regulator work. The Regal XL I think is a leaver "B". 100 shots from the GTA Forum member was probably a 12fpe model shooting .177's. My 22fac is good for 33-35 shots at 860fps with 18gr JSB's at 2% max ES.
Jimmy
Daystate Regal 30FPE
FX500 Hawke SW 6-14X56
Jking

Postby cdaley » 09 Dec 2016, 19:36

Jimmy - that is very interesting. I was waiting to hear how the regulator tuned out. By "Fell off the regulator" do you mean that when the air pressure in the air tube gets below the pressure setting in the regulator, it won't fire anymore? I mean, the hammer operates yet, but no air comes out? Just curious.
Chris D
Daystate Regal XL, 0.22, 30ft-lb, with Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40 AO BDC
Anschutz Model 1712 Silhouette Sporter, with Leupold 6.5-20x40 EFR CDS
Sheridan Blue Streak
RWS Diana Model 45
cdaley

Postby Jking » 10 Dec 2016, 02:22

Chris, it will continue to fire but in a declining slope of speed once the air tube pressure gets lower than the regulator set point. Someone with more know how and equipment could make it work I bet. The biggest reason for the loss of speed was the lack of the plenum spacer that just creates a storage pocket of regulated air pressure for each shot. The Altaros regulator sets directly on top of the valve and therefore has zero space to store a shot of air. When the valve hits the hammer in this case it's just using what air is stored in the regulator which can't be much and what can pass through the regulator in a split second, again not much air.

Normally when guns get regulated the transfer port and all air flow gets increased as much as possible for best results. I didn't want to take the task on and risk screwing up a perfectly great shooting gun..
Jimmy
Daystate Regal 30FPE
FX500 Hawke SW 6-14X56
Jking

Postby cdaley » 12 Dec 2016, 16:37

I got you Jimmy. And it is probably good that it still was firing some air. I heard that dry-firing these is fine (meaning - without a pellet), but firing them without air can damage the valve. I'm assuming that Daystate must put an cushion of air on the backside of the valve then or something like that if that is the case. Maybe that's how Daystate pulled things off so well without a regulator. Maybe the pressure behind the valve drops as the pressure in the airtube drops, and it tends to function almost like a regulator (i.e., maybe the less pressure behind the valve allows it to move more and flow more air in relation to the pressure dropping so you get a little more air moving when the air is under less pressure)? Sorry about the way too long sentence!

Chris
Chris D
Daystate Regal XL, 0.22, 30ft-lb, with Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40 AO BDC
Anschutz Model 1712 Silhouette Sporter, with Leupold 6.5-20x40 EFR CDS
Sheridan Blue Streak
RWS Diana Model 45
cdaley

Return to Daystate Huntsman Classic & Huntsman Regal Forum

Who is on the Daystate Forum