Welcome to the world of
Daystate

Airwolf FAC with 400cc bottle

Daystate FAC air rifles , FAC forum for Daystate FAC rifles

Airwolf FAC with 400cc bottle

Postby airwolf1 » 08 Mar 2014, 22:36

From the day I decided I wanted an AirWolf I also decided I wanted the 400cc bottle rather than 500cc after using an AirRanger with the smaller bottle. After various chats with Tony at Daystate I accepted that I couldn't have it due to the 400cc bottles only being rated at 200bar and the rifle having an SWP 230 bar, basically I was told the shot count would be so poor it wouldn't be worth it :( .

I was told by one dealer at the recent shooting show that you could fill a 400cc to 230 as they are tested to well over that but in my mind if its rated at 200bar then that's as far as you go, especially as you stand next to the damn thing when filling :shock:
I then visited the guys at Best Fittings to browse and noticed they were advertising bottles for Theoben rapids, a quick chat revealed that these 400cc bottles are made by a different manufacturer to the one DS use and they are in fact rated at 230 bar, they also have the same thread as the AirWolf -bingo!! The bottle is the same diameter as the original (barrel band still fits) but is obviously shorter and weighs 200grams less, 200g doesn't sound a lot but when its 30cm away from the action it makes a huge difference to the balance :D At £55 I also thought it was well priced, the only noticeable difference is the finish on the new bottle is not as matt as the DS one, its a semi gloss finish which is no problem for me especially as I use a neoprene cover :D

I have now fitted the bottle and wow, its transformed the handling, the gun is nowhere near as front heavy and it feels far better balanced. When time allows I will do a shot string over a chrono to see how it compares to the 500cc but early indications are that I'm still getting over 50 shots at +35ftbs.
Stripped ready for new bottle.JPG

bottle comparison.JPG
AirWolf in vice.JPG

I dry fired the gun down to empty in order to remove the bottle, interestingly the digital gauge would not drop below 30 bar even when the gun was clearly fully empty?? Once empty the bottle came off with the help of a constrictor tool with no need for heat, I put a new O ring in place before fitting the new bottle and everything was good when I filled it with air again.
with 400cc bottle.JPG

I have now fitted a neoprene cover and couldn't be happier with the change :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Daystate Owners Club new site: www.daystateownersclub.com/forum
airwolf1

Re: Airwolf FAC with 400cc bottle

Postby stryder5 » 08 Mar 2014, 22:50

Great journey of discovery :)

You were right to ignore someone who says 200 bar tested cylinder should be used at 230 bar, you MAY get away with it, but would you pull the pin on a grenade and expect it not to explode, I am sure every sane person like yourself would ignore stupidity :D

atb

Gary
Dream each night you will live forever, live each day as though you'll die today.

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. "
Albert Einstein
stryder5

Postby audi swift » 08 Mar 2014, 23:31

airwolf1 wrote:I was told by one dealer at the recent shooting show that you could fill a 400cc to 230 as they are tested to well over that but in my mind if its rated at 200bar then that's as far as you go, especially as you stand next to the damn thing when filling :shock:

nice write up & photos mate job well done there.

also spot on mate as I fill to the swp or just below it & yes I do go over a bit now & then maybe by 10 Bar max ! that's all no more then 10 bar to be safe.
just so I can test etc each rifle to see if I can tune or get the rifle better for a couple more shots, however if I go over most of the time the rifle will not shoot right until it goes back under the swp mark & some rifles can & do lock up so follow the rifles swp folks & be safe.
audi swift

Postby salop sniper » 08 Mar 2014, 23:38

How do you get on with your neoprene bottle cover ?
I got mine today and it's fitted now but touching the shroud a bit more than I would of liked ! I will see how it goes though !
.177 Daystate MK4 + Hugget Shroud system(sub 12Ft/Lb), MTC Mamba 4-14x44 IR.
.22 Daystate Huntsman FAC 30ftlb,MK5 Silencer,Hawke 4-12x50 Panorama IR.
salop sniper

Postby Rob » 09 Mar 2014, 10:42

My Air Ranger is fitted with a 400cc bottle and it gives me 60-70 shots from a 200bar fill at 30ftlb. It is a better gun for it too.
If I have an opinion it is because I have researched it or due to life experience. It might not be the same as yours but have you done the above?
Rob

Postby airwolf1 » 09 Mar 2014, 11:06

salop sniper wrote:How do you get on with your neoprene bottle cover ?
I got mine today and it's fitted now but touching the shroud a bit more than I would of liked ! I will see how it goes though !

it has been fine, I cant find the person I got it from now, was over 12 months ago from the bay, someone was making then themselves to sit different size bottles. The Neoprene is only 3mm thick, I cut the end off the cover in order to refit the barrel band and there is good clearance between the shroud.
Daystate Owners Club new site: www.daystateownersclub.com/forum
airwolf1

Postby Mantonflint » 09 Mar 2014, 11:21

I bet you got it from Andrew at Woodfield Guns, I have one on my Air Wolf. Andrew will make it for you;

http://woodfield-gcp.co.uk/?product=bla ... tle-covers

He may offer them in different colours.

Brian
Daystate Air Wolf CDT & Mk3b RT; Ripley XL1, XL9 and AR5S FAC. Feinwerkbau 300s, Skan R32
Use enough gun, I like Black Powder. Lifetime shooter; BASC member etc.
Mantonflint

Postby salop sniper » 09 Mar 2014, 12:17

Yes got it from Will at Woodfield guns!
It touches the shroud on mine, so no clearance. I will see how I get on with it but if not I will remove it !
.177 Daystate MK4 + Hugget Shroud system(sub 12Ft/Lb), MTC Mamba 4-14x44 IR.
.22 Daystate Huntsman FAC 30ftlb,MK5 Silencer,Hawke 4-12x50 Panorama IR.
salop sniper

Return to Daystate FAC air rifles

Who is on the Daystate Forum