Welcome to the world of
Daystate

Accuracy issues when using magazines

Daystate chat area to talk about things that don't belong in any other forum section

Accuracy issues when using magazines

Postby AlanMcD » 09 May 2016, 15:22

I have a .22 Air Ranger that stacks pellets from a single shot tray. When shooting at individual bulls, every POI pretty much is guaranteed to be within less than about 2-3mm ctc of the average at 20 yards over 30 shots - and probably about 20 of the 30 shots have the same POI and would be hole-in-hole. But I get up to 3/4 inch groupings with magazines at the same distance over the ten shots in the mag. The first two or three out of the mags always do well, but then they open up from there. This occurs with two newer mags that I have, one of which is a newer Wolverine Mag too - I do have one much older old magazine (without the o-ring to retain the pellets) has much less of an issue. But of course it is a pain to load and use, at least compared to the one's with the o-ring . . .

I have been searching looking for a solution but have not found one - it appears there was one related to alignment internal to the magazine on the Daystate Owners Forum but that seems to be down. I have chambered several pellets and then pushed them back out with a rod to inspect, but there does not appear to be any deformation on them, and they all seat and take the rifling equally all the way around the head and skirt. I have tried pausing after cocking and indexing the mag before pushing the bolt forward too, but get the same results. All mags are unaltered and are set up to load from the left side of the action, as originally shipped.

I figure it mush be an alignment issue,but I see no signs of a problem other than the results on target. Anyone have any advice?
AlanMcD

Re: Accuracy issues when using magazines

Postby mnala » 09 May 2016, 17:05

Hi, Alan. I have just bought a Air Ranger .177 (2013) had the same sort of thing came with 3 mags original +2 new style. The original was much more accurate but not a patch on the single shot tray, thought I needed to try more types of pellet. It was when i was changing the scope i noticed that the tip of the probe was bent to the right. The shop said they would get it adjusted (bent back) . Wasn't really happy with that so i rang Daystate and and was very surprised to find a new one was only £10.56 posted. Getting it changed shortley,I'm sure that will sort it. So check yours.
Regards Alan.
mnala

Postby CORKY » 09 May 2016, 18:03

I had two Mk4 .177 rifles, they were better with the Westy tray than the magazine. For a short time I also had the Mk4is, in .177 that too was better with the Westy tray than the magazine
CORKY

Postby AlanMcD » 12 May 2016, 02:17

Alan and Corky,

Thanks for your responses. I did check the bolt probe, and it appears to be fine - at least to the extent I can tell with it still in the gun.

I think I am going to take one of the mags apart to see what I can find out inside it - this is really frustrating, as I do like using magazines as they are so convenient.
AlanMcD

Postby CORKY » 12 May 2016, 19:05

STOP, STOP, STOP. Before you take apart your magazine, put it in a see through plastic bag, and work from outside the bag, or there will come a point when the mag will split apart and a camouflaged coil spring will fly out clear across the room, and you will never see it again.
CORKY

Postby Motorhead » 13 May 2016, 06:23

CORKY wrote:STOP, STOP, STOP. Before you take apart your magazine, put it in a see through plastic bag, and work from outside the bag, or there will come a point when the mag will split apart and a camouflaged coil spring will fly out clear across the room, and you will never see it again.

Indeed, just did this last week & got LUCKY the little release pawl spring stayed put :o
had this little bugger flipped out flying across the shop the Mag would have been junk ... it is VERY small ;)
Daystate Mk3 D V2 sport " Custom"
.20 cal w/Shroud & regulator.

RAW TM-1000 / BSA Scorpion / AA 410C / Many more ...
" Home of Motorheads AG Tuning Services"

Scott
Motorhead

Postby AlanMcD » 15 May 2016, 19:16

Well, I dove into my mags and cleaned things up a bit, and the results are vastly improved. Two of the three are almost indistinguishable from results with the tray, and one - the newest, a Wolverine style mag - has an issue with one specific pellet slot that I need to work on a bit more.

The bag trick was a great help, although it is not needed with the new all black mags as they have the cam arm and spring retained with a pin - the whole mag has been redesigned and changed with no common parts with the old mag except for maybe the outer o-ring and the springs. Even the screw that holds it together is different. So the good news is that the new mags can be easily taken apart for cleaning. Although the central barrel that holds the pellets is now plastic like the rest of the magazine body - while this is not necessarily bad, it does make we wonder about the long term durability in terms of contact with the metal cam as it cycles (and now that the mag is almost all plastic, it sure makes me even more outraged as what Daystate charges for these things - in the US we can buy about ten Marauder mags for the price of one Daystate mag, and in terms of actual use I like the Mararuder mag better). This one benefited the most from a good deburring, probably from some flash since is injection molded - it was throwing some pellets 3/4" off target at 20 yards.

I took them apart, lightly cleaned up the entrance and exits for all points of pellet travel with 400 grit paper (with a very light touch) and then a bit of clean up with a cone on a Dremel with a touch of rouge. After cleaning everything up and reassembly, they definitely shot better. As two of the mags were the old style with the small hole for loading the pellets (making it a pain in the butt to get them seated right), I took the opportunity to open up the loading area like with the newer style mags.

I included a picture of the three different levels of mags I have now that they have been cleaned up, mostly to show the differences in the new Wolverine mag (easy to identify as the magazines are all black). Note the difference all around, but especially on the bottom where we can see the pin holding the cam spring in place (all three views align vertically for each type of magazine).

The best mag is now the middle one, and the first one is perfect for Polymags and other long pellets because with the modded slot in front I can easily load it without worrying about the head (or Polymag tip) hitting the front of the mag when I rotate it to the next slot.

AlanMcD

Return to Daystate Chat

Who is on the Daystate Forum