Welcome to the world of
Daystate

Some hunting questions

Daystate Hunting Forum there are photos of dead animals , over 18 yrs old only this is a hunting forum so if you don't want to see it don't click on it

Some hunting questions

Postby Spider1V » 26 Aug 2014, 11:13

Hi All,

As most of you know, I am relatively new to the PCP's and at the weekend was over at a friends, who asked me if I could remove some various pests. Great! Finally got to 'blood' my rifle :).

What I wanted to know (based on the experienced hunters on here), what is and what is not fair game, without crossing the line, as it were?

What I did take out were:
3x Bunnies
1x grey squirrel
6x Maggies
8x Rats (they have a moat around the house)

I was also asked if I could thin out; wild ducks, canadian geese, a fox and some pigeons. As I was unsure I did decline, but thought I would check on here for a definitive answer/ pointers /advice. I shoot a .22 (Ripley), with a Falcon FFP scope using Diablo fields 5.52's 16 Grains/ 1.037 grams at its current power is 11.8FPS with said rounds.

As it has been a while since I seriously went out to so some 'verminating' (and last time was with a springer .25 a cobra strike magnum) I was pleasantly surprised at the .22 as a hunting caliber as I was always a bit of a .25 fan, but found the range and loopy trajectory of the .25 frustrating at 12fps. But for one exception, all went down straight away, furthest target was circa 45-50 yards, however it was actually the closest one that I had to take a second shot - go figure - which was about 15 yards and as you all know, with a mag fed PCP was reloaded and dispatched very quickly.

Apologies for no potos, I wanted to do a 'trophy' shot, but the wife's were adamant that that was too 'gory' :roll: and went in to 'moaning' mode. Maybe next time though ;)

Many thanks in advance

Spider1V
You will regret that for the rest of your life......................... both seconds.
Spider1V

Re: Some hunting questions

Postby salop sniper » 26 Aug 2014, 11:43

I was also asked if I could thin out; wild ducks, canadian geese, a fox and some pigeons. As I was unsure I did decline.

You made the right decission there.
Pigeons yes they are fine and your rifle is suitable.
Ducks, Iffy most would say not but only take them in season if you do and head shots only as they are tough so be prepared to follow your shot up and also to have to neck any where needed.
Geese - Absolutly not, an air rifle wont do this humainly and you could find yourself in trouble, Shotgun or powder burning rifle needed here.
Fox - Definately not with an air rifle ever. Shotgun or powder burning rifle needed here also.

If you want to take Duck, Goose, Fox you need to be going down the route of shotgun and fire-arms.

ATB

Matt
.177 Daystate MK4 + Hugget Shroud system(sub 12Ft/Lb), MTC Mamba 4-14x44 IR.
.22 Daystate Huntsman FAC 30ftlb,MK5 Silencer,Hawke 4-12x50 Panorama IR.
salop sniper

Postby airwolf1 » 26 Aug 2014, 23:03

Exactly as above, all the above mentioned are not to be suitable quarry for an air rifle, pigeon yes. I think the BASC have a guide that outlines sensible airgun quarry. There is also the use of lead over water to consider :)

I have been asked to thin fox quite a lot recently, I used to use shotgun for this with large shot (BB) out to 40 yards max but the recent acquisition of a .243 has extended this range considerably :D
Daystate Owners Club new site: www.daystateownersclub.com/forum
airwolf1

Postby Spider1V » 27 Aug 2014, 11:49

Sniper, Airwolf1,

Many thanks for your advice gentlemen, very much appreciated! I did remember reading a post that Mantonflint put up a while back, either on this forum or the 'Black' forum. I can now sleep well at night :lol:

So: (should any noobies be reading this post) with a sub 12ft/lb .22 air rifle.

OK to shoot:
Pigeons, Rats, Squirrels, Bunnies, Magpies, Corvids and general vermin

Anything else best to use a powder rifle.

Once again many thanks for both the prompt replies and advice.

Spider1V
You will regret that for the rest of your life......................... both seconds.
Spider1V

Return to Daystate Hunting Forum

Who is on the Daystate Forum