Welcome to the world of
Daystate

Would you have a .22 Sub 12 Ft/Lb

Daystate Hunting Forum there are photos of dead animals , over 18 yrs old only this is a hunting forum so if you don't want to see it don't click on it

Re: Would you have a .22 Sub 12 Ft/Lb

Postby salop sniper » 08 Mar 2014, 23:47

Well I have now added the .22 to my collection which leaves me at:
.22 sub 12ftlb Ranger
.22 FAC 30ftlb Huntsman
.177 sub 12ftlb MK4

I have fallen completely in love with the Ranger and may look to change my MK4 for a .177 Ranger ! :o 8-)
We will see!
.177 Daystate MK4 + Hugget Shroud system(sub 12Ft/Lb), MTC Mamba 4-14x44 IR.
.22 Daystate Huntsman FAC 30ftlb,MK5 Silencer,Hawke 4-12x50 Panorama IR.
salop sniper

Postby audi swift » 08 Mar 2014, 23:50

:o no matt you have a good set up there of rifles mate :P
audi swift

Postby border » 21 Mar 2014, 21:25

HI Gents, i allways have a 177 cal and a 22 cal both have diffrent jobs for me , i use as light as pellet as the gun will group in 22 call , and a hevey pellet in my 177 cal . ATB bob. :D
border

Postby Silvermachine » 27 May 2014, 21:47

salop sniper wrote:As above folks.

Am wanting to add another Daystate to my collection but always thought it would be .177.
How ever...... I have seen one that could fit the bill, the only snag is its in .22 :? I dont know how I feel about that am so used to the .177 for all my HFT and Hunting !

What are your thoughts ?
I know Si Pttaway almost exclusively uses .22 and gets some cracking kills out at some good distances ! So its go me thinking, also the heavier pellet choice for the windier nights it may be helpful. Surely its just a job of knowing aim points ?

ATB

Matt
I understand your points, i think we`ve probably all gone through the argument in our minds at some time. To be honest, after years of reviews about fir or feather, FT, HFT etc i think its a given that the playing field is pretty even. I haver read (as you probably have) that .177 isn`t affected by the wind nearly as much as was argued but actually in the field i am quite confident at hunting with both my .22 or .177. You`re gonna go for a clean kill and so if you`re a practised shot both gauges will kill clean. I think grain of pellet is more important. I use a 15.9g .22 and am very confident of its stopping abilities, but their are ample videos on youtube of hunters using a .177 with surgical precision. You could opt for the new fave of .20. You`re limited at the moment with pellet choice. I nearly got my Regal in .20 but couldn`t wait the extra month. Gotta say, by the way i`m in love with my Regal twinned with Sovereigns. I wish you all the best, but if you`ve got a .177 already, no harm in having a .22 anyway. If its a Daystate, you`re probably gonna love it.
Silvermachine

Postby Airborne2503 » 09 Jun 2014, 17:03

In my experiance there is not any difference in the calibre when it comes to hunting (besides the obvious)

My girlfreind uses the Regal in .177 and I use the Wolverine in .22, we do all manner of hunting from hide work to stalking and we are both very surgical when it comes to pellet placement and regularly match each other in bag size. (although she is a slightly better shot than me)

I put all this down to only owning one rifle each and plenty of trigger time. That way you get to know you combo inside and out with the pellet trajectory and reticule type. They are both just as capable as each other however I favour the .22 more just because the pellets are easier to handle.
Huntsman Regal .177 MTC Genesis UL 3-9x40
SFS Tuned HW95 .22 MTC Genesis UL 3-9x40

"Good leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. If you must be without one, be without strategy"-Dienekes, Battle of Thermopylae, 480 BC
Airborne2503

Postby salop sniper » 10 Jun 2014, 16:01

Got to agree with you .22 pellets are so much easier especally in the dark and for picking out of the tin when you cant see and getting them into the mag.

It also seems to be a trend of females being better shots. My mrs has outshot me and 6 other blokes with our own rifles yet she has no interest in shooting, and when i say there rifles that was from .22lr up to 308 and 243.
We were schooled and beat fair and square, there was some head scratching going on to say the least especally as we are all experienced shooters!

:oops:
.177 Daystate MK4 + Hugget Shroud system(sub 12Ft/Lb), MTC Mamba 4-14x44 IR.
.22 Daystate Huntsman FAC 30ftlb,MK5 Silencer,Hawke 4-12x50 Panorama IR.
salop sniper

Postby audi swift » 10 Jun 2014, 17:28

:lol: ha-ha matt I know that feeling as my step daughter picked up her first ever air gun at Kelmarsh Hall some years back & got 7 \10. so me & lene thought should we get her a cheap brocock concept like we had when we or I got back in to shooting. but after 30 secs of thinking about it we both said NO she will only show us up one day or the first day she goes to a range \ club.

however she is nipping down f'mill with me one day & she will be using my mk4iS !......
its a pity about ant my step son but he is all over the place having adhd & autism etc spectrum disorders plus he is left handed. so he wonders how to shoot right & which eye or hand to use & where plus he gets a bit hyper, so it will be some time yet for him to have a go with me \ us.

well matt don't bring your lady to f'mill or wherever as we will have to pack up early if she is over taking us on the score system, but joking a side bring her down one day as it is nice to meet another female shooter & maybe Helene can join us too as she is dying to get back out & shoot.
audi swift

Postby Airborne2503 » 13 Jun 2014, 08:55

Not only is she a better shot but she is also alot quicker taking it.
I probly spend about 3-4 seconds taking a hunting shot from identifying the quarry to sqeezing off the shot.

But she just litrally takes a second...At one point I actually thought she was just lucky when it comes to hunting so I asked her to explain to me from start to finish the shot placement process she takes.

Sure enough not only is she a better shot but she is also better and quicker at thinking....PMSL :-)
Huntsman Regal .177 MTC Genesis UL 3-9x40
SFS Tuned HW95 .22 MTC Genesis UL 3-9x40

"Good leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. If you must be without one, be without strategy"-Dienekes, Battle of Thermopylae, 480 BC
Airborne2503

Previous

Return to Daystate Hunting Forum

Who is on the Daystate Forum