Welcome to the world of
Daystate

Corvids

Daystate Hunting Forum there are photos of dead animals , over 18 yrs old only this is a hunting forum so if you don't want to see it don't click on it

Corvids

Postby airwolf1 » 10 Nov 2013, 23:22

Hi all,

As some may have seen in a post yesterday I went to set up a hide last night ready for some crow bashing at first light today. Well, I was happy that the hide was in the right place and still there when I arrived this morning!! I had left home at 6:15am in order to get to the field and crawl into my hide before first light, before entering the hide I put a rabbit out in the field with a magpie decoy placed over it.
Hide.JPG

The fields did seem eerily quiet this morning, I will usually hear the first crow calls just as light is breaking, but this morning the air was quiet. I sat quietly, patiently waiting behind my camo netting laced with foliage from the surrounding hedgerow. While I was waiting I was running through my usual checks, full mag, mag counter reset, camo cover on the end of silencer, yep all there and ready. The only change I had made for this set up was to drop the power of the AirWolf down to 30ftlb and change its lead diet to AA field heavy, I have two reasons for this, 1. the max range a bird will landat here is 50 yards so the lower power with softer round head pellets suffer less over kill and 2. this permission is smaller than a lot of my others so the lower power and lighter pellet reduces the fallout range.
from the hide.JPG

Unusually I had sat in the hide without one corvid landing in the sitty tree for a while, in fact it was 45 minutes before the first one, a Jackdaw, landed at the top. The silver hooded varmint soon fell, but the normal airborne riot that follows a corvid dropping just didn't happen. I sat and waited but things didn't get any better, historically the sitty tree is a hive of activity at first light and the activity gently slows after the first hour. Today however was a different story, I have never seen this place so quiet, if I remember correctly I bagged 10 on my last visit, cant have it all the time I suppose, at the end of the day I still enjoyed the peace and tranquillity of sitting in a field as light breaks, rifle in hand, you just cant beat it :D .
jackdaw.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Daystate Owners Club new site: www.daystateownersclub.com/forum
airwolf1

Re: Corvids

Postby Spider1V » 11 Nov 2013, 09:29

Great write up there Airwolf1, Though a bit nippy, was a lovely sunny day did anyone else get out there and make use of the day?

Spider1V
You will regret that for the rest of your life......................... both seconds.
Spider1V

Postby Daystate Admin » 11 Nov 2013, 10:37

great read mate
Cheers Richard
Daystate Forum built by members for everyone
www.humminbird.info
Daystate Admin
Site Admin

Postby tonylam » 27 Jan 2015, 00:28

Airwolf 1 and forum

I have access to a field and woodland. Normally I use this location to practice motocross with my son but I have just obtained permission from the landowner to use a field and woodland to shoot. He has also advised that if i could "thin out" the corvid population that would be helpful as they do make quite a din.
I read that you arranged to setup first thing in the morning. Is this the best time? are their any other times that could prove fruitful. Will i need a hade>>>> this list goes on. What top tips do i need to take on board?

Thanks

Tony
Daystate Airwolf CDT- 0.177
Hawke Airmax 30 6-20x50
AA Diablo field
tonylam

Postby mark n » 03 Feb 2015, 11:37

HI Tony,

Morning or early evening have been the best times for me. You need to spend some time to find their sitty tree. This will be were they come first thing in the morning, day break, and again in the late afternoon/early evening. You should find that they will congregate and just sit in the tree on a regular basis. Then you need to find somewhere within about 30mtrs to hide so you can ambush them.

A few words of warning. You will need head shots to drop them as they are tough as boots. Spend time with paper targets getting yourself dialled in first, respect your quarry. Crow eyes are razor sharp and they will spot any movement/lens flare. Once you drop one they will go crazy may not settle back down. Remember that your POI will change when shooting up into a tree. You can bait them down if you can't find a sitty tree but I find the sitty tree works best for me. Check out Hunter Vermin on Youtube and that should help give you some ideas.
Club: JGARC
Rifle: HW97KT, Wolverine B type (both .177)
mark n

Postby tonylam » 05 Feb 2015, 10:26

Thanks Mark. Hoping to get out this evening for a recce then over the weekend with the rifle. just waiting on receiving my scope back from Hawke....

Tony
Daystate Airwolf CDT- 0.177
Hawke Airmax 30 6-20x50
AA Diablo field
tonylam

Postby mark n » 08 Feb 2015, 10:06

No worries Tony. Let us know how you get on. You wait until you drop one and then you will hear an bit of a din and they will come from all over.
Club: JGARC
Rifle: HW97KT, Wolverine B type (both .177)
mark n

Return to Daystate Hunting Forum

Who is on the Daystate Forum