Welcome to the world of
Daystate

Finally blooded the wolf

Daystate Hunting Forum there are photos of dead animals , over 18 yrs old only this is a hunting forum so if you don't want to see it don't click on it

Finally blooded the wolf

Postby tonylam » 25 Feb 2015, 04:16

Well finally after all the testing of pellets, swopping out the scope, and practising at distances, we went out last week for an early morning foray onto my permission as I understand it should be called.

Having taken on board all the advise available I had recce'd the woods on previous occasions to spot the "Sitty" trees in an attempt to bag a few crows for the farmer. But i need to be earlier or much better. These things are on the case....... Not only do they take the piss by flying around screaming Haa.. Haa.. Haa. but they're like Ninja. The trees were silhouetted and i couldn't see a thing, then suddenly one pops out of the shadows and flys around. You can track 3 of them flying behind a group of branches and only 2 emerge... can you find the third.... Nope.

Anyway I felt very privaleged as whilst sat all snug and calm on a chilly morning, I dozed off only to awake to see 2 Deer feeding not 40m away. I kept still and watched as they mooched around and slowly wandered off.

I thought I was just going to have a quiet peaceful morning till I caught sight of My Grey out of the corner of my eye bounding along the floor. He was about 60m away but heading diagonally left to right towards me. As he disappeared behind a big oak the Airwolf came up and I waited, tracking his movements. Finally he got to about 35m then stopped. I could see him clear as day through my new Airmax scope. I swear he was looking right at me.
he stood there for about 10 seconds then bounced onto the trunk of a tree and scooted around the backside. I was kicking myself for not taking the shot just a moment earlier. I watched for him to reappear but he didn't, I thought I had blown it. I was expecting one of the ninja crow to appear screaming Ha ha :lol: at me again, then there he was. Sat up and a thick branch in the 33m tree (yeh I had them all labelled from my spot) at about 25 degrees. I had zeroed in at 35 so felt ok to keep everything centred. There was a branch running right in front of him just on the point I wanted so I was again holding. My thumb flicked the safety and the bloody rifle gave out its 3 beeps to signal- "I Am Armed".
As I sat watching Mr Grey in my crosshairs the noise made him sit up and clear the branch. Perfect>>>
I remember feeling the 'mouse click' of stage 2 and the gentle sound of the rifle let go. It all felt like slow motion, I saw a tiny glint off the pellet somewhere between me and Mr Grey, then saw the him jolt as the pellet hit him centre chest. Its odd because the noise of the Airwolf as it fires is so very unremarkable. Its almost like the pellet is caressed on its way. However when it hits home, that is no caress. Mr Grey was dispatched and on his way to nutty heaven before he hit the floor.

IMG_0981.JPG

It didn't take long to field prepare Mr Grey and I put him into a bag for later. 06:30 to 11:15 was enough and I was beginning to feel the cold. I have to admit the there isn't a lot on a squirrel but 14 years of chefing came into its own and onions, squash, tomatoes, garlic, paprika, a crock pot, salt/pepper and 2.5 hours had a tea ready. Lucky for me the my wife and daughter flatly refused to join me for probably the first time ever. All credit to my son though who gave it a go for a while till chicken/pasta/pesto I had gotten ready for them, just in case, enticed him away.

Next time a few more, maybe a bit of pigeon.

Thanks all

Tony
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Daystate Airwolf CDT- 0.177
Hawke Airmax 30 6-20x50
AA Diablo field
tonylam

Re: Finally blooded the wolf

Postby Daystate Admin » 25 Feb 2015, 13:19

well done tony
Cheers Richard
Daystate Forum built by members for everyone
www.humminbird.info
Daystate Admin
Site Admin

Postby salop sniper » 25 Feb 2015, 16:50

A brilliant write up there Tony and a fantastic read. It would be good to see some of your cooked dishes also!
Myself I prefer Squirrel over Rabbit.
Keep up the good work and keep up the pest control, the farmer will really appreciate it and it will teah you loads as well as putting meat on the table.

ATB

Matt
.177 Daystate MK4 + Hugget Shroud system(sub 12Ft/Lb), MTC Mamba 4-14x44 IR.
.22 Daystate Huntsman FAC 30ftlb,MK5 Silencer,Hawke 4-12x50 Panorama IR.
salop sniper

Postby Mantonflint » 25 Feb 2015, 21:53

Goodho Tony, here's to the next time. I enjoy squirrel shooting very much, there are a lot of very tall trees on one of my local shoots, I also love to shoot Branchers (Rooks) in early May; very tasty pie! Got to cook and eat with friends the same day. ;)

http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/features/jo ... oting-6409
Daystate Air Wolf CDT & Mk3b RT; Ripley XL1, XL9 and AR5S FAC. Feinwerkbau 300s, Skan R32
Use enough gun, I like Black Powder. Lifetime shooter; BASC member etc.
Mantonflint

Postby mark n » 09 Apr 2015, 11:42

Nice write up Tony. Glad to see that all the practice and waiting has paid off. The crows do tease a lot for sure and you do need to be early,very early. I am sure it will not be long before you increase your bag.
Club: JGARC
Rifle: HW97KT, Wolverine B type (both .177)
mark n

Postby Gamegetter » 09 Apr 2015, 12:54

Nice shooting chap, and a cracking setup :D

Mike :D
BTAS Theoben HFT 400 .177 MTC mamba -lite 4-16x44
Hatsan AT 44 Tactical .25 Bushnell Legend 5-15x40 AO
AirWolf CDT .177 MTC mamba 4-16x50 IRS
HW 35E .22 ( Early model)
Gamegetter

Postby hillbilly » 09 Apr 2015, 23:18

Get on buddy, nice one. It'll get easier as time goes on!!! As Mike said cracking set out, i had a wolf, but Mike now has it!!!
hillbilly

Return to Daystate Hunting Forum

Who is on the Daystate Forum