Welcome to the world of
Daystate

thinking about a new scope for HFT use

Air Rifle Scopes and Accessories section the talk about Air Rifle Scopes and Accessories

thinking about a new scope for HFT use

Postby audi swift » 22 May 2014, 14:37

well folks I have got 5 mtc viper 10x44 scopes now along with a mtc mamba lite 3-12x44 on my pcp's. plus a Hawke Panorama EV 4-12x40 on one of my springer's.

but I am now thinking about getting a new scope for my main HFT \ plinking rifle what is a airwolf mct fitted In a custom MS stock.
however I don't know what scope to go for this time, as there a few to pick from.
so I have made a short list of the ones I am thinking about along with looking at \ through them asap.

MTC VIPER CONNECT SL 3-12x24 ( what is meant to be great for HFT )
Lightstream 4.5-14x44 LR Milling Ret
Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x42 mil dot ret
sightron s111 10x42 mmd ( I like the sound of this one )
Delta Optical Titanium 4.5-14x44 AO FFP - HFT Reticle ( http://www.optics-trade.eu/shop/en/delt ... o-ffp.html )
eb sniper 10x42

I will have to go a few shops & look at many as possible but any help would be gratefully received.

kenny
audi swift

Re: thinking about a new scope for HFT use

Postby stryder5 » 22 May 2014, 19:46

Hi Kenny,

Just my view on specification really.

FFP I wouldn't think any advantage for HFT.

Single magnification lenses will have fewer lenses so, in theory, brighter image.

1/8 turrets should give more accurate set up.

exit pupil will be important average target size I would suggest 4-5mm (Objective lens dia. divided by magnification).

Depth of field, in photography, depends on magnification and relative objective lens diameter.

Your preference for reticule type.

Probably doesn't help you :D
Dream each night you will live forever, live each day as though you'll die today.

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. "
Albert Einstein
stryder5

Postby audi swift » 22 May 2014, 19:54

cheers mate all the help is good as I like my vipers but I feel like it is time to move up, & with the wolf having some money spent on it maybe it is time... .
audi swift

Postby JUD » 22 May 2014, 20:15

Of the ones you list I would get the Lightstream - I have 2. Quality of the optics is far better than all the others you list. Hard to find locally. My RFD gets them in occasionally. You can come down to NOFTC and have a squint through mine if you want. I know Dnic was impressed at the Bulldog Bash.

Only just moved onto a March which is better again but a load of £££££. Mr Taxman actually gave me a rebate for the first time in living memory, so before the Mrs spent it on household furnishings and other un-necessary stuff - I spanked it on a scope. :D

FFP is good for HFT. If you walk a course and determine it is a "long" course - i.e. no short ones you can crank the mag up a bit prior to shooting without having to work out all your aim points. :o

I normally shoot with the Lightstream on 8 mag and parallax set so 45 is just blurred. The March manages to pull better depth of field at 10 mag than the Lightstream so now I use that on 10.
JUD

Postby Mantonflint » 22 May 2014, 20:44

Have a look at this link Kenny, especially the comments by Darren Potts; I appreciate that new models may be available. I endorse Jud's comments on March scopes but I haven't used one on an air rife.
http://www.airgunforum.co.uk/forums/sho ... -HFT-Scope

I can't remember if you wear spectacles, they are an important aspect of scope selection and use. If prescription lenses are worn for shooting, particularly vari-focal, these should be the type that give no discernible distortion at the four extreme edges. Lens depth must allow perfect vision through the optical centre of the scope when your head is in the best average position on the stock. Ordinary prescription vari-focal lenses can be very restrictive for shooting, I wear vari-focals myself which are biased for my shooting requirements, the latest lens technology is very, very good for all disciplines - iron sights, diopter, scope, holo, NV and shotgun.

In offering this info, I point out that excellent eyeglasses are crucial to ones shooting performance; lenses shouldn't be less then 35mm deep, frames themselves shouldn't obstruct vision when shooting. Aiming through the extreme top of the lens should be avoided. In short, excellent spectacles can vastly improve the performance of an average scope, and the shooter. ;)
Brian
Daystate Air Wolf CDT & Mk3b RT; Ripley XL1, XL9 and AR5S FAC. Feinwerkbau 300s, Skan R32
Use enough gun, I like Black Powder. Lifetime shooter; BASC member etc.
Mantonflint

Postby audi swift » 22 May 2014, 21:16

cheers martin as I know the lightstream is a good scope because I have looked through a couple of them for a min or 2 In the past, but I never really liked the idea of getting a dearer scope until now.
also I have heard of the march make \ brand but they are over my funds sorry to say, I have about mid £££ to spend. however I am just toying with the idea as yet but I am thinking maybe it is time to move up on scopes & see what happens.

Brian I do wear thin prescription non framed rimless glasses :geek: , & I know fully what you mean about glasses. as when I first started back in shooting I had framed glasses & some times the frame or the lens shape made my vision distort through the scope.

p,s did you mean lenses shouldn't be less then 3.5mm deep not lenses shouldn't be less then 35mm deep ?.

I have also read many reviews & posts on forums & that one on airgunforum is a good read.
so many thanks kenny
audi swift

Postby Mantonflint » 22 May 2014, 21:36

Hi Kenny, 35mm is the depth of the lens from top to bottom, the top of the lens should be fitted high enough so the pupil is vertically centred. The letterbox frame style are useless for shooting purposes IMO, hence 35mm. ;)
Brian
Daystate Air Wolf CDT & Mk3b RT; Ripley XL1, XL9 and AR5S FAC. Feinwerkbau 300s, Skan R32
Use enough gun, I like Black Powder. Lifetime shooter; BASC member etc.
Mantonflint

Postby JUD » 23 May 2014, 12:20

You can borrow one of my Lightstreams if you fancy trying it for a bit.
JUD

Postby cliveo » 23 May 2014, 12:43

hi kenny,
i was thinking along the lines of a new scope as well,(bonus on its way :D)with the mtc, lightstream and sightron on my list as well.
two of my hft buddies shoot a connect and sightron. the sightron looks superb straight off, the mtc i think i would have to use for a while as it is so different. not looked through a lightstream but am going to accost someone at a shoot when i see one :)

atb

clive
Daystate Wolverine "b" .177 Hawke tac 30 10x42
Weihrauch 97kt .177 sfs stage 1 tune hawke panorama 3x9x50
air arms ftp900 mtc connect
Browning 725 12g
cliveo

Postby audi swift » 23 May 2014, 21:13

hi jud \ martin

many thanks mate I might take you up on that if its is ok with you still :P .
I have been reading some more reviews & asking around but i think the best thing is for me to do, is to try the scopes out & see which one suits me & my eyes.
this scope picking is a mine field at times so I will try a few out & pick one when it clicks in place.

Clive cheers for the input mate & I really like the sightron because the PX wheel is at the back of the scope where you would normally find the zoom collar. but as the one on my list is a fixed scope the layout of it looks simple along with being nice looking & sounding even if I have not seen or looked through one as yet it is high on my list.

the money I have to spend is not burning a hole on my wallet ( as yet ) so I will be taking my time on this idea, well another 2 or 3 weeks maybe. :roll:
audi swift

Next

Return to Air Rifle Scopes and Accessories

Who is on the Daystate Forum