Welcome to the world of
Daystate

WTF!!! Blueprint Mounts!!!

Air Rifle Scopes and Accessories section the talk about Air Rifle Scopes and Accessories

WTF!!! Blueprint Mounts!!!

Postby Airborne2503 » 08 Mar 2014, 21:32

Has anybody had any dramas or issues with these mounts?

Because today I fitted Blueprint Low Mounts in Black to my Wolverine and have never been so angry and concerned at the same time.

Using the supplied allen wrench, 3 of the 4 screws that secure the bottom part of the 2 mounts to the rifle have completly gone, and no allen wrench I have will grip the inside of the screw (including the supplied one) I have also tried my own good quality allen wrenches but to no avail.

Right now, I cant even get the lower parts of the mounts off my gun which means I will have to get them driiled out by my RFD!!
No doubt causing damage to my gun at some point of the procudure!

I didnt over tighten them (half a turn using the long part of the wrench, as per normal) and even by some freak of nature I managed this with all 4 screws, this should never have happened.

I have tested and fitted the cheapest and crappest of mounts the shooting world has ever seen and this has never happened before. Considering that Daystate actually endorsed these mounts, surly they have gone through some kind of rigerous testing before they were released???

Because if they did, this should have been picked up before now or I have found the only set of mounts that some how got through the quality control process!!!

As you can imagine I am very P@@@@D!

Your thoughts gentlman?
ATB
Marcus
Huntsman Regal .177 MTC Genesis UL 3-9x40
SFS Tuned HW95 .22 MTC Genesis UL 3-9x40

"Good leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. If you must be without one, be without strategy"-Dienekes, Battle of Thermopylae, 480 BC
Airborne2503

Re: WTF!!! Blueprint Mounts!!!

Postby stryder5 » 08 Mar 2014, 21:47

Pity you are not closer, I have screw removers, these have a LH thread, i.e. when you screw them in they screw the bolt out. They will fit into the hex head recess.

I would have thought any RFD should have a set.

Hindsight is a great thing, but having experienced many cheap screws and bolts that are as soft as cheese, I always replace any supplied with mounts, with ones from a known source.

Not usually as soft as yours appear tho'.

atb

Gary
Dream each night you will live forever, live each day as though you'll die today.

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. "
Albert Einstein
stryder5

Postby airwolf1 » 08 Mar 2014, 21:51

sorry to hear of your trouble, I have never had a set of Blue Print mounts but when I have come across chewed allen bolts before I have often been able to remove them using torx bits or star bits as some call them, they come in various sizes like : T20, T25, T30 etc.

Good luck :)
Daystate Owners Club new site: www.daystateownersclub.com/forum
airwolf1

Postby Mantonflint » 08 Mar 2014, 22:00

Very sorry to hear about you're problem, I would certainly be a bit cheesed of too. With respect to your tightening procedure, I'm not sure that half a turn after the clamp contact point may be a little excessive. I can't really comment further, mainly because I use a Torqe Driver set to suit the mount. You've obviously got experience in fitting scope mounts, it seems from what you said that the tensile strength of the socket screws could be not up to standard, but I very much doubt this.
Suitable Torqe settings are ;
Ring screws – 2 – 3 Ib ft (24 to 36 in/lbs) M4 dovetail clamp screws – 2.5 – 3.5 Ib ft (30 to 42 in/lbs) M5 dovetail clamp screws 4 – 5.5 Ib ft (48 to 66in/lbs).
Due to a host of variables these figures can only be used as a guide. The figures above are for DRY UNLUBRICATED BOLT THREADS. Where lubrication is present these values should be halved.
Was there any lubrication present on the threads?
Brian
Daystate Air Wolf CDT & Mk3b RT; Ripley XL1, XL9 and AR5S FAC. Feinwerkbau 300s, Skan R32
Use enough gun, I like Black Powder. Lifetime shooter; BASC member etc.
Mantonflint

Postby Airborne2503 » 08 Mar 2014, 22:22

Half a turn on 4 securing screws is nothing mate, lubed or not.
Either way this should never have happened.

I would suggest you stay away from them, if you want consistancy and confidence. However is it true they are made by Sportsmatch, amount i have learned to love and rely upon????
Slightly concerning......
Marcus
Huntsman Regal .177 MTC Genesis UL 3-9x40
SFS Tuned HW95 .22 MTC Genesis UL 3-9x40

"Good leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. If you must be without one, be without strategy"-Dienekes, Battle of Thermopylae, 480 BC
Airborne2503

Postby Mantonflint » 08 Mar 2014, 23:19

Yes, I believe they're made by Sportsmatch.
Brian
Daystate Air Wolf CDT & Mk3b RT; Ripley XL1, XL9 and AR5S FAC. Feinwerkbau 300s, Skan R32
Mantonflint

Postby Mantonflint » 08 Mar 2014, 23:44

Just had a thought; IIRC Daystate Blueprint mounts have stainless/rustles screws. If so these are probably softer than the standard SportsMatch mount screws.
By the way, BKL recommend tightening a quarter turn only from the clamp point which gives 49 lb/inch torque. ;)
Brian
Mantonflint

Return to Air Rifle Scopes and Accessories

Who is on the Daystate Forum