Welcome to the world of
Daystate

Bipods

Air Rifle Accessories talk about any Air Rilfe Accessories on the market

Bipods

Postby Mantonflint » 02 Nov 2013, 00:26

A comment on Bipods; I prefer genuine Harris Bipods for use on my rifles. Having said that, I don't often use them in the field for their intended purpose, they're handy to use as as a support for your rifle when you need to lay it down. I favour the 13-9 inch version with click height adjustable legs, OK for shooting from a rest and for zeroing from the bench. The version without the one inch click adjustment is fine, just a little awkward if you need to set intermediate height settings. A little heavier than these are the models that allow an appreciable degree of tilt or swivel. If you plan to use the Bipod on rough ground, the friction lock tilt mech is the way to go. All Harris Bipods I'm familiar with have a rear sling swivel. In summer, you will find that the herbage tends to block your view. One of the Bipods I use is an early model Sniper Systems model. It's great for a summer warren shoot being 27inches high when fully extended; developed for use in Afghanistan I believe, it allows you to sight over the herbage. Early Sniper Systems Bipods had a fault that I believe has been rectified. The two stud engagement stubs were only peened into position on mine and loosened at the first time I removed it from the rifle; It took a little micro welding to sort it out. Sniper Systems Bipods generally have click height adjustment and tilt lock; they're fairly light in weight too.
Now that Harris Patents have expired there are loads of Chinese and other copies of varying quality; you generally get what you pay for. Always examine the mechanism and check that when you pivot the legs up and down there isn't any interference with the stock which might cause damage to the wood; I've seen this happen. It may be a good idea to fit some thin rubber sheet protection where the bipod top plate bears against the stock. When you've fitted your bipod, if it doesn't have a swivel mech, swing down the legs while holding against the spring and stand the rifle on a level surface. Lay a spirit level on the top scope cap and check for level side to side. If it isn't level, try slackening the clamp screw, move the bipod to left or right and re tighten the clamp screw. If this doesn't work, you can shim one side of the bipod plate with strips of rubber sheet etc about 3mm thick to get it level.
If you've had good service from a particular make/model of Bipod, let us know about it. It's very helpful if you can also quote price and availability. ;)
Daystate Air Wolf CDT & Mk3b RT; Ripley XL1, XL9 and AR5S FAC. Feinwerkbau 300s, Skan R32
Use enough gun, I like Black Powder. Lifetime shooter; BASC member etc.
Mantonflint

Re: Bipods

Postby airwolf1 » 02 Nov 2013, 09:25

very good post, very informative and very helpful to any looking into purchasing one. I have used a Buffalo River swivel 9-13 (benchrest-prone) and a Shooters Ridge 13-23 (prone-sitting) for nearly two years and they have been faultless. Both swivel, have sprung loaded notched legs (1" notches), have a foam pad on the base to protect the stock and allow a sling to be attached. Both available from www.opticswarehouse.co.uk for around £45.
Daystate Owners Club new site: www.daystateownersclub.com/forum
airwolf1

Postby Daystate Admin » 03 Nov 2013, 16:48

Cracking read mate thanks
Cheers Richard
Daystate Forum built by members for everyone
www.humminbird.info
Daystate Admin
Site Admin

Postby lurchermann » 01 Dec 2013, 11:23

deben are jst as good as harris but cheaper.
MK4 is target
lurchermann

Postby Bluesboydave » 12 Mar 2014, 02:05

Has anyone used a Snipersystems bipod? This is the one sold / approved by Daystate.

I'm looking t o add a bipod but I'm not sure which one

Bluesboydave
Wolverine B + MTC Viper
Weihrauch HW 35, HW77, HW80, HW95, HW97, HW40, HW45
Bluesboydave

Postby Mantonflint » 12 Mar 2014, 08:17

Yes, I have the very high version which I bought from them about three years ago. It's a good unit, but I had some dialogue over it with Sniper Systems and as a result had to modify it. The reason being that when first removed from the rifle, one of the two lugs which engage with the QR stud fell off. I told them that the current assembly method wasn't satisfactory, they offered to fix it and I sent the part back. In short it happened again, I let them know and they said that they would change the method of manufacture. I micro welded both lugs and its sorted. Sniper Systems are a very good company and I'm sure that their Bipods are excellent. I have used original Harris for over twenty years and own three or four and have had no issues. ;)
Brian
Daystate Air Wolf CDT & Mk3b RT; Ripley XL1, XL9 and AR5S FAC. Feinwerkbau 300s, Skan R32
Use enough gun, I like Black Powder. Lifetime shooter; BASC member etc.
Mantonflint

Postby Westphalian » 12 Apr 2014, 12:51

just bought an airwolf. carefully fitted stud but quite far back from lip to avoid splitting wood and the Harris bipod just doesn't lend itself to standing shooting etc with the bipod closed and the balance isn't right. taken it off. Looking on youtube and the bloke on airgun tv with an airwolf has his bipod in the same position and i doubt risking re locating the stud more distally will make that much difference. so, i will keep it on my HW100 and leave my airwolf unemcumbered unless anyone has any suggestions re location of stud or different bipod.
Westphalian

Postby ofchir » 12 Apr 2014, 22:59

Hello everyone I'm looking for a bipod for my air ranger
ofchir

Postby lurchermann » 13 Apr 2014, 19:30

Debens are as good as any Harris I have had and cheaper.i have a tilting one now and come with padding to go on ya stock wen put on.with 2 dif ways to fit ya sling.deben all the way.i got my last one off a member on here and still going strong.atb
MK4 is target
lurchermann

Postby top » 17 Apr 2014, 05:39

I have always shot of a bi-pod, the first ones I bought were cheap Chinese ones, but they were flimsy compared to the Deben or Harris, but at xmas I got 2 of someone on ebay but he described them as ( same as harris ) so I give them a try, and they were that good you couldn't tell them apart, and they've got the tilt function on them and at £45 they are half the price of the originals, if I ever needed another bi-pod I wouldn't hesitate to buy to buy another one they are that good.

Next

Return to Air Rifle Accessories

Who is on the Daystate Forum